My rooster got attacked by a dog

Becky_turner2001

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2021
My rooster got attacked by a mini Doberman dog and he’s still alive an still opens his eyes an clucked a little earlier but he won’t stand an if he is on his feet with my help he won’t hold his head up in any way , there are holes in his neck but I can’t get good pictures of them. I have him separated and under a heat lamp. He won’t eat or drink tried to get a couple drops of water with a little medicine dropper it was barely any but he acted like he choked. Anyone have tips for me please he’s a family rooster , I really don’t wanna lose him 😔

I'm so sorry this happened :hugs This has happened to me before. My hen had really deep bite wounds and scratches all over her body. The poor thing was almost completely bare. We nursed her back to health, and thankfully, she's all healed and healthy!

Please post pictures so we get a better understanding of what happened.

Do you have poultry wound spray and/or hyrdrogen peroxide? Do you have access to a veterinarian?

The best thing to do right now is clean his wounds and get him as comfortable as possible, if you do not have access to a vet. If you do, then you should rush him there ASAP.
Dip his beak in water to make sure he's at least getting a few drops. Dehydration could make matters much worse.
Get his favorite food, and offer it to him. Whether it's mealworms or some kind of meat.

From the way you described the attack, I'm really sorry, but truthfully, I must say that he could likely die😥. Make sure he's comfortable and warm, no other chickens bothering him.

Good luck ❤️

My rooster got attacked by a mini Doberman dog and he’s still alive an still opens his eyes an clucked a little earlier but he won’t stand an if he is on his feet with my help he won’t hold his head up in any way , there are holes in his neck but I can’t get good pictures of them. I have him separated and under a heat lamp. He won’t eat or drink tried to get a couple drops of water with a little medicine dropper it was barely any but he acted like he choked. Anyone have tips for me please he’s a family rooster , I really don’t wanna lose him 😔
i'm sorry to say but he is most likely done for but it sounds like his tracia is punctured or cracked ribs or a collapsed lung at all costs try to prevent infection with soap, boiled water, boiled wine or in the worst case even pee to steralize the wounds

Back
Top Bottom