My rooster has hit puberty!

cathscluckers

Hatching
6 Years
Nov 24, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
Well, seeing as no one else I know is as excited about this as I am, I thought I'd post a thread to share my excitement. My new rooster (white leghorn, approximately 17 weeks old) starting crowing - well attempting to crow - this morning. I'd just gone to let the girls out of their coop and was walking back up to the house when I heard a strange noise. I went back to check on the girls (the dirty dozen as my hubby calls them- Lieutenant Uhura, Ruby-Lou, Daisy, Hennifer, etc) and there was Diego Mendez strutting up and down making this weird little gargling noise. So cute! Am a very proud mum this morning! He did about 8 or 9 of them, sounded like a normal crow but like he was whispering. Very excited! There, I feel much better having shared that!

Congratulations on your new Crower! They do seem quite proud of themselves once they start don't they... hope you are ready for lots of practice, I'm sure he will work hard on perfecting his crow.

woot.gif

Congratulations!

My Marion (he was Rosemary), sounds just like a rusty door. His first couple crows in the morning are creaky then he starts to develop some tone -- as if he'd been clearing his throat.

Funniest of all, I have a 13yo son who sounds just the same.

Well, thanks for your responses, they were great! Diego is now crowing really well, but is quite liking the attention he's getting so he's crowing all the time! And yes, I have a 15year old son who sounded the same when his voice break a couple of years ago! Too funny! Very hot over here at the moment (39 degrees in sunny Perth, WA), so the dirty dozen (my feathered girls) are being spoiled with iceblocks in their water, frozen watermelon and as I work from home, I can go down and spray them with a mist sprayer every hour or so. They have just started roosting in our fig tree, so when I go into their pen they jump down from above my head to get sprayed - so sweet! Although the willy wagtails that nest in the top of the tree aren't so pleased!

I have a silkie rooster that just started crowing its the funniest thing to hear when he first did it it scared me because he sounded like a little boy screaming I thought I must of had ghost :rolleyes I did not know where it came from then he did it agin

Back
Top Bottom