My rooster has one eye closed and is this stuff on his comb frostbite?

bob505

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 22, 2009
This morning when i got up I went to my barn to check on my rooster because they kept fighting the day before but when i got out there i noticed that one rooster was looking at me weird. So looked at his eyes and noticed that his eye was closed. So when i got home from school i checked on them and noticed it was still shut. Could he maybe have gotten his eye pecked from fighting or is it something else?

35084_p1010146.jpg

Also is the black stuff on the comb frostbite?

yes. it defiantly looks like he got in a fight. I think the stuff on his comb could be frostbite.... how long has he had it on his comb? it also could be a dried-up scab from when a chicken pecked it too.

He had it all winter. Also would he ever be able to open it again if it was caused by a fight.

I think they have special eyedrops for chickens at tractor supply places. you could try getting some. I really don't know much about curing chicken injuries so I hope someone can give better information than me...

I don't think the comb is getting from fighting, if it's fighting it would look worser than that. Bob, I think your rooster got CRD. Give him Tylan 50, twice a day for 3 or 4days. He should recover nicely.

Back
Top Bottom