My rooster has swollen feet and can't walk good

rooster 2011

Songster
Feb 2, 2016
Louisiana
I have a rooster that is about 3 years old about a week ago when I went to feed him I noticed he couldn't walk good and his feet were extremely swollen from his spur down to his toes at first I thought he had bumble foot but I have soaked his feet in Epsom salt every other day and I have gave him tylan 50 to reduce swelling but it didn't work but what confuses me is I have a rooster about 2 which is the son to him and he has the Same problem as him but he is free range and the older one is kept in a pen does anyone have any suggestions on what to do and what is wrong with them

Do you see a black/brown scab on his foot? Can you post pictures please?
This sounds like bumblefoot and you may have to do the surgery on him to get the infection kernels out.
It's not fun but it's necessary as untreated advanced bumblefoot can lead to death of the bird.
The infection will go into his tendons, tissue and bones.
Bumblefoot is contagious and if this is indeed what's going on, you'll need to completely disinfect the coop, run and roost bars.
I wish you the best!

Yes he did have black scab on the back of his feet one is still on there The other one fell off a few days after I started putting peroxide on his foot so what should I do to get the swelling to go down

I have a rooster that is about 3 years old about a week ago when I went to feed him I noticed he couldn't walk good and his feet were extremely swollen from his spur down to his toes at first I thought he had bumble foot but I have soaked his feet in Epsom salt every other day and I have gave him tylan 50 to reduce swelling but it didn't work but what confuses me is I have a rooster about 2 which is the son to him and he has the Same problem as him but he is free range and the older one is kept in a pen does anyone have any suggestions on what to do and what is wrong with them

really need some good close pics of his feet and his pad. Only things I can think of offhand are bumble foot, scaly leg mites or gout.

Yes he did have black scab on the back of his feet one is still on there The other one fell off a few days after I started putting peroxide on his foot so what should I do to get the swelling to go down

There is a bumble foot thread. You can search it for remedies. I don't know how swollen his feet are, but I just treated a hen with swelling even between her toes and all I did was the epsom salt soaks and then put a sugar/iodine paste on the foot pad, fold a piece of gauze pad and place that over it, then wrap it well with Vetwrap to secure it. Pics are in that thread. I do this at least every three days for a couple of weeks. The poultice draws the infection down and when the scab get nice and big and I can see white around it I know its working. After two or three weeks after a soak of their foot, while the foot is still moist, I do my "surgery" of lifting the scab and pulling it and what's attached to it off. Lift all around the edges with a sharp sterile instrument. Make sure the foot is nice and clean, wipe it with betadine before starting. Once you have the edges all loosened and lifted slightly get some tweezers and lift it out. Sometimes it leaves a big hole. If you see any white around the edges or in there try to remove that also. It's solid pus. When done, pack some neosporin in the hole and put gauze on it then wrap with Vetwrap again and some bandaging tape. Then keep the bird in a crate or cage and off the ground for a few days. You don't want moisture, soil or bacteria getting back in there. If it is very swollen and it sounds like it is, you should do a round of penicillin on the bird. Pen G is found in feed stores in their refrigerator. The dose is no more than a tenth of a ml, very small dose, injected in muscle for at least 5 days. That should help to fight the infection. Now you have to change bandages every few days checking the healing, applying more neosporin and rebandage until it is completely closed. When it starts closing and forms a scab, still keep it bandaged but you can probably let the bird back on the ground and then just check and rebandage a couple of times a week until it is closed up enough and healed to take them off for good. I suggest wrapping the bird snug in a towel when working on it, with just the feet sticking out and though you can cover the head make sure it can get air.

Gee, that first one looks like the bird is losing the toe. I think that is your source of infection for that foot. The other second one, I don't see a black spot or bumble on it, unless there is some injury on the top of the foot we can't see. That could be gout. I would try some antibiotics, the Pen G I spoke about for maybe 7 days, but that won't help if it's gout. The bird really should see a vet on this one, because I"m not sure what is going on with that big foot. The other looks like the toe was injured and is now falling off. Did something get wrapped around it?

Last edited:
The bad thing is I don't have a vet in my area that would work on chickens i thought by antiboditcs and soaking his feet would make the swelling go down but it didn't work some people say to do surgery but I wouldn't even know where to start my best guess is he must have got a splinter in his foot from the roost and it got infected or he got it hung on the chicken wire one day and cut it I have been using peroxide too to make sure the infection doesn't get worse the foot that doesn't have the black scab is a little better because the scab was in a different place and it fell off with perxiode but it is still swollen tho

You might also consider mycoplasma synoviae or MS as a possible reason for the swelling. Can you check the other leg joints for any swelling, and look at the breast or keel bone for any signs of a sore or blister. If that doesn't seem to be a problem, then I would get to a vet to treat him for a bacterial joint infection such as staph or E.coli.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom