My rooster is a brooder

Thank you for the advise. I really appreciate it
1f60a.png
The egg has zipped all the way around!!! I'm SO excited
1f604.png

I always end up seeing things after 20 some days of studying and staring at the eggs.
lol.png

And end up saying things like "Oh, it's cracked!", "It's definitely going to hatch soon!", A couple days later "I think I see a crack"

Haha

You've got pic proof though.
big_smile.png

Hope they all hatch soon for ya

WM

Pull the layer feed completely. It's not appropriate for flocks with roosters anyways. Chickens that aren't laying really don't need all that calcium. It will eventually destroy the kidneys. All flock, grower, or flock raiser type feeds are a much more appropriate feed choice. And it's safe for all ages. Just be sure to have some crushed oyster shell out for the girls that are still laying.

Thank you, I had no idea they could go on grower. I had layers only before and that's what they had. We have 3 choices of food where I live.. Starter, grower or layer ration. The there's also hen scratch for addition. I always mix oyster shell and the gravel stuff too. Just to clarify the grower is good for all of them? We collect eggs each day, so just want to make sure they are eating what's best for them. We also give them left over vegetables and fruits, is that still ok?

Layer is for actively laying birds only, not for birds that aren't laying for whatever reason. It's got barely enough protein in it to support egg production if it's the only thing offered. Too many treats or extras and production will begin to decrease. Grower can be fed to all ages and genders, and may actually help your hens lay better. It will also help them get through molts faster. There is absolutely no reason you have to feed layer. There is no magic ingredient in it. Just be sure that the calcium supplement is offered separate from the feed and not mixed in.

He/she is the smallest of them all and was labeled young rooster at the auction

So glad you got this figured out, she is a lovely gal.

I have no experience hatching - but shouldn't you place some wire around the cage to keep the little ones IN once they hatch and start to wander around?

So glad you got this figured out, she is a lovely gal.

I have no experience hatching - but shouldn't you place some wire around the cage to keep the little ones IN once they hatch and start to wander around?

The cage was put in originally to keep my baby bunnies contained as they could get through the smallest places, so it's all surrounded by walls, straw bales and cardboard so no one can escape
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom