My rooster is a chicken

JYount

Chirping
Nov 1, 2021
Hi all,

My rooster is 17 weeks old and he's scare of nearly every thing. He's a kind young man and will come up to me with a respectful distance, and doesn't mind too much I pick him up for the heck of it. While I appreciate that, I guess I was expecting him to show typical rooster behavior like showing off food to the hens or being the last one in the coop when there is a hawk near by, but nope. He is always the first one in the coop for any "scare" and I'm using scare lightly. There's lots of crows in our area and anytime he hears one while free ranging, he runs into the run and into the coop. My hens do not give two thoughts about them! He is my first rooster so maybe he still has some maturing to do? Should he be showing those types of behaviors now? Or is he just a scaredy cat?
PXL_20220114_150729675._exported_1346_1642173860890.jpg

Hi all,

My rooster is 17 weeks old and he's scare of nearly every thing. He's a kind young man and will come up to me with a respectful distance, and doesn't mind too much I pick him up for the heck of it. While I appreciate that, I guess I was expecting him to show typical rooster behavior like showing off food to the hens or being the last one in the coop when there is a hawk near by, but nope. He is always the first one in the coop for any "scare" and I'm using scare lightly. There's lots of crows in our area and anytime he hears one while free ranging, he runs into the run and into the coop. My hens do not give two thoughts about them! He is my first rooster so maybe he still has some maturing to do? Should he be showing those types of behaviors now? Or is he just a scaredy cat? View attachment 2960402
He is still quite young. Give him some time.😊

Totally a baby. He probably won't be a satisfactory rooster until he's closer to a year, and (in my experience) roosters keep maturing the older they get. Like me. I was a grown-ass man at 18, living on my own but I wasn't a mature man until I hit my late 20's. And I keep getting more humble, kind hearted, reasonable and handsome as the years accrue. Your rooster is still mostly cockerel; give him another 8+ months to grow into the man o' the flock you were hoping for.

Hi all,

My rooster is 17 weeks old and he's scare of nearly every thing. He's a kind young man and will come up to me with a respectful distance, and doesn't mind too much I pick him up for the heck of it. While I appreciate that, I guess I was expecting him to show typical rooster behavior like showing off food to the hens or being the last one in the coop when there is a hawk near by, but nope. He is always the first one in the coop for any "scare" and I'm using scare lightly. There's lots of crows in our area and anytime he hears one while free ranging, he runs into the run and into the coop. My hens do not give two thoughts about them! He is my first rooster so maybe he still has some maturing to do? Should he be showing those types of behaviors now? Or is he just a scaredy cat? View attachment 2960402
Your rooster is only a cockerel.Whole flocks can be killed if the hens don't learn to run when he alerts.

Back
Top Bottom