My rooster is a nuisance but I love him

Welcome to the coop! I use the Forums and Articles tabs at the top of the page to do research. You can get lost for hours. It's nice to know you are minutes away from getting help with questions and emergencies!
I heard mine for the first time this morning. My neighbor has been using the collar on his and he barely crows anymore. Blue Man Chew will have a home for now as windows will be closed up when the cold weather comes. I can't have one but going to give it a try.

Rehoming is a very very very last option. People that tell others to rehome are poorly informed and pretty much don’t give a crap about their pets. A lot of factors come in to play. The time it happens, where is the sun, other animals around, etc. etc.
People state that the no crow collars are dangerous. Well, some of us take our risks. Are there are many things we do that are dangerous with pets but we still do them. Perhaps the rooster just isn’t adapted to the no crow collar. Something else he can do is build him a darkbox. That means in the evenings you separate him from everyone else put him in his dark box don’t let any light get in and let him out in the mornings.
There’s perhaps one or two more things you can do. I can’t remember them at the moment. It’s always a good thing to ask because there are quite a bit of very informative intelligent people here. But it’s also always a good idea to look elsewhere, check the Internet, ask around for other possibilities of what you can do. Opinions are opinions just like everyone has a hole on their bottom. You get good advice that’s actually good and may be helpful for it could totally suck for you. Or you can get very bad advice and run along with it and doom yourself. Best thing to do is investigate, research, and apply new methods. Detectives and scientist do it all the time. There’s gonna be some failure and some learning curves, but eventually you’ll find something that works best for you even if it’s rehoming.

People that tell others to rehome are poorly informed and pretty much don’t give a crap about their pets.
This is a very inaccurate assessment of the advice given by the people in this thread. Myself included. My main interest is what is best for the bird. Always.
there are many things we do that are dangerous with pets
This is completely contrary to what you wrote in the first statement quoted. I know of no one personally that intentionally does dangerous things with their pets.
dark box don’t let any light get in and let him out in the mornings
These boxes rarely if ever have adequate ventilation for the bird.

It's always best to provide an animal with the proper species specific environment, food, etc.
I do understand about getting attached to these guys. But if you are not permitted roosters where you live, either move to where you can have them or rehome them. This OP has many fine options for rehoming and the cockerel will be able to live a normal, happy chicken life. That is the right thing for the bird and the hard thing for the keeper.

:welcome

If the only problem is him crowing at night, you can bring him inside and put him in a box/cat carrier/etc in a dark room. I have two crowing hens and I do that occasionally when guests are over.
058ACD6F-AF0C-41B8-ACC5-AB7AE60EF46B.jpeg

However, if your rooster is still able to hear a noise that triggers his crowing, it might not work. Worth a try though!

Rehoming is a very very very last option. People that tell others to rehome are poorly informed and pretty much don’t give a crap about their pets. A lot of factors come in to play. The time it happens, where is the sun, other animals around, etc. etc.
People state that the no crow collars are dangerous. Well, some of us take our risks. Are there are many things we do that are dangerous with pets but we still do them. Perhaps the rooster just isn’t adapted to the no crow collar. Something else he can do is build him a darkbox. That means in the evenings you separate him from everyone else put him in his dark box don’t let any light get in and let him out in the mornings.
There’s perhaps one or two more things you can do. I can’t remember them at the moment. It’s always a good thing to ask because there are quite a bit of very informative intelligent people here. But it’s also always a good idea to look elsewhere, check the Internet, ask around for other possibilities of what you can do. Opinions are opinions just like everyone has a hole on their bottom. You get good advice that’s actually good and may be helpful for it could totally suck for you. Or you can get very bad advice and run along with it and doom yourself. Best thing to do is investigate, research, and apply new methods. Detectives and scientist do it all the time. There’s gonna be some failure and some learning curves, but eventually you’ll find something that works best for you even if it’s rehoming.
People rehome often because it’s the only option or the best option for the animal and because they love their pets. When people post about rehoming they don’t use it loosely and know it should it be the last option I have been fortunate enough to never have to necessarily rehome any of my pets and couldn’t imagine the feeling ( crying thinking about it) but the only reason I would go through that heartache is because I love them or I have no choice I agree that you shouldn’t give up right away and that’s why they’re trying to get advice to see if there are other options that everyone (owner and neighbors) can be happy and the animal can live healthy and happy
And that’s why people are replying because They respect that the owner loves and cares and they understand that’s not an option any of us really want to take

:welcome

If the only problem is him crowing at night, you can bring him inside and put him in a box/cat carrier/etc in a dark room. I have two crowing hens and I do that occasionally when guests are over. View attachment 3283303
However, if your rooster is still able to hear a noise that triggers his crowing, it might not work. Worth a try though!
Hey I never thought about something like that. It may not work for everybody depending on schedules or situations but if it’s one that can work it’s a pretty good one! I’ve had to do it with injured chickens for short periods of time before

Back
Top Bottom