My rooster is a nuisance but I love him

Glad to meet you and sorry for your rooster problems. Animals don't act for no reason, so the above posts should give your some ideas what to look for.

If the trigger for his crowing is something you can affect, you might be able to fix this problem. Figure out what makes him crow in the night and either stop the trigger, or hide it from him.

If you can't find the trigger, or fix it, it really does seem hard on the boy to try to muffle him with a rooster collar. I understand your worries - I am also a chicken keeper in what my area calls "heavily settled" area.

Best ideas I have seen for rehoming a rooster (where you want him to live his happiest best life):
1. Craigslist for your area
2. Facebook local poultry interest group (if you have one)
3. Back Yard Chicken's Animal rehoming list and thread for your state or area.
4. Breeder you got him from - if it's not a mega shipper, but local breeder, they might take him from you.

In all cases, if you are allowed to post an image, include the best glamor shot you can get of the rooster, along with all the info you have about breed, where you got him, and temperament. Is he nice with people and his hens? Is he protective? Is he healthy and sound? Be sure you mention in the header for the post your town or area so people know how far the rooster is from them.

Rehome him. You don't need a rooster for eggs.
No crow collars are dangerous and often deadly. If he is "fainting " you are killing him slowly and cruely.
He only fainted twice the first two times I put it on, I was told they are kinda like fainting goats and just scare easily...I've been giving him meal worms when I put it on now and he seems to be more comfortable now, but if he does keep up the issue I am rehoming him to a barn near by in two weeks....so that option is on the table already. I was keeping the collar off him because I blocked off the street where the headlights were coming from and he stopped crowing until actual sunrise, 7 am ...which is doable....but this morning he was going off at 4 am and I heard a rooster off in the distance so it seems that rooster is also a trigger for him to go off....They were all on top of the coop...so I am not sure if the rooster off in the distance was alerting to a predator or something (I ran out immediately and there was nothing in our yard or near by....so thats the only logical conclusion I could come up with..)

Glad to meet you and sorry for your rooster problems. Animals don't act for no reason, so the above posts should give your some ideas what to look for.

If the trigger for his crowing is something you can affect, you might be able to fix this problem. Figure out what makes him crow in the night and either stop the trigger, or hide it from him.

If you can't find the trigger, or fix it, it really does seem hard on the boy to try to muffle him with a rooster collar. I understand your worries - I am also a chicken keeper in what my area calls "heavily settled" area.

Best ideas I have seen for rehoming a rooster (where you want him to live his happiest best life):
1. Craigslist for your area
2. Facebook local poultry interest group (if you have one)
3. Back Yard Chicken's Animal rehoming list and thread for your state or area.
4. Breeder you got him from - if it's not a mega shipper, but local breeder, they might take him from you.

In all cases, if you are allowed to post an image, include the best glamor shot you can get of the rooster, along with all the info you have about breed, where you got him, and temperament. Is he nice with people and his hens? Is he protective? Is he healthy and sound? Be sure you mention in the header for the post your town or area so people know how far the rooster is from them.
Thanks!
Yeah we are planning on rehoming him to a barn near by if the collar doesn't pan out within Two weeks....He became famous on facebook so fortunately A LOT of people want him....because of his name haha.... so that's good... I just hoped there was a way to get the collar to stay on, I've been feeding him mealworms now when I put the collar back on and it seems to help... I hope...but even with the collar on it doesn't make is crow any less loud...so I am thinking it is not tight enough... What triggered it this am was a rooster going off in the distance... I ran outside and they were all on top of the chicken coop but there was no predator around so I kinda think the other rooster in the distance was alerting to a predator or something....

Welcome to BYC!

No crow collars are very dangerous for the roosters. As others said, he's fainting because he can't breathe. The best thing to do would be to get rid of him before you are reported.
Yeah, If he faints one more time I am going to throw in the towel and let this barn near by adopt him, he turned into a facebook personality so fortunately a lot of people want him as a pet now.... I have been giving him meal worms when put the collar back on him now and he seems to be more calm about the whole process...if it isn't solved within two weeks or he ends up fainting again we are going to go with the rehoming plan. :)

Back
Top Bottom