My rooster is a nuisance but I love him

Fortunately, he is now beloved in my town...it was a really weird turn of events...he is now an internet personality...LMAO My neighbors in my area I went door to door asking if they mind him, and they all said they love him... There was one person a block away who complained about a rooster, but I can hear a rooster going off in the distance that my rooster is responding to...so I think that is the rooster that lady is actually complaining about...I reached out to the woman who complained and told her that I am rehoming him within two weeks if we can't get the crowing under control. She was actually super sweet and apologized for being rude...(she wasn't rude) She said she had no idea that tractor supply sucks at gendering chickens and hopes I can get the collar to work out (for all of our sake) Haha. Rehoming is def on the table, I am now giving meal worms every time I have to put the collar back on and it appears that he is calming down a bit..so hopefully the collar will work out... If not, there are now a sea of people who want Themi as a pet lol...really weird turn of a events but yeah hahaha

Because he can't breath.
If you really love him, rehome him. It is not fair to him to try to force him to stop one of the most natural behaviors of a rooster.
Good luck with the rest of your flock.
He can breathe... lol is the collar isn't even on tight enough to stop him from crowing yet. He's fainting because he's scared. He is eating just fine and DEFO still crowing loudly as hell ...haha I guess from what I have heard they scare easily like fainting goats. I have started giving him meal worms when I have to reapply the collar and he seems to be alright with that part of the routine so far...The collar still isn't on tight enough to stop him from crowing though. Rehoming him is what we are doing within two weeks if I cant get this figured out...I am not sure if I already responded to this comment, if I did ...my apologies.

Hi, welcome to BYC! I wonder if there is an overhead night light coming on nearby, that is making him crow in the middle of the night. Pleased to meet you and thanks for joining us. I wouldn't use a no crow collar, it might be better to rehome him.
That would do it, or maybe a garbage truck, or maybe he wants to be with you! He needs a flock and really when I had one bird he roosted at night on a chest of drawers top drawer open and fullers earth in it. Worked fine.He doesn’t deserve to be choked just for loving you. Get him the respect he deserves. Whats a little chicken poop in the chicken poop box? He is a sentient being so listen to him:

Last edited:
Welcome!
They crow at night because something is up. They hear a noise, they see a light. Something is setting him off.
I would build him a rooster box (dark wood box) in the coop for sleeping. That should help him be quiet during the night. HOWEVER. He will still crow during the day, and those collars aren't humane. It might be better to consider rehoming him to someplace he can crow to his heart's content. The reason he is "fainting" is he feels like he cannot breathe.

Welcome to BYC!!!!! :frow

I feel for your dilemma. I get very attached quite quickly. You say the middle of the night but then you mention 4 AM. Every rooster I’ve had over the years has started crying about 4 AM maybe 430. So I’m not sure if it’s also the middle of the night. Unfortunately it may come down to rehoming him now or when somebody complains. I don’t know much about crow collars as I have been lucky enough to live in an area where they can crow freely…. But from what I understand from the collars is it just seems dangerous for the chicken. I hate to say that’s my opinion because me loving animals as much as I do I hate that to be the option but…

If he faints one more time
Yes, he can faint from the collar. Many roosters/cockerels die while wearing the collar because they swallow something too large and can't get it down.
Roosters are nothing like fainting goats.
but I can hear a rooster going off in the distance that my rooster is responding to
There is a flock of roosters about 1/3 mile from my house with multiple roosters. I can hear them crowing. My roosters rarely respond to their crows.
Roosters crow due to many triggers and just because they feel like it.
My roosters usually start crowing between 3 and 4 in the morning but I only hear them if I'm already up. That is very normal.

Back
Top Bottom