My rooster is always attacking me!!!

In the roosters mind and in reality, your're stealing his prospective offspring.
I don't know why people have so much trouble understanding this.
It's a perfectly normal reaction.
My suggestion is you don't try to keep any roosters.
It seems from what you write you are scared of him even though he is tiny compared to you. Even the most determined rooster will have great difficulty doing you any harm if you are dressed in the appropriate clothing and mindfull of what you are doing.
Try and rehome the pair and don't get any more.
Finding a behavior unacceptable does not equate to lack of understanding.

Hey guys! I currently have 9 chickens, 7 hens and 2 roosters but the main rooster won’t stop attacking me when I go outside with them. I feed them every morning and give them treats and fresh fruit a couple times a week and I’m outside most of the time! But I’ll be giving them fruit or going to go get our eggs and he just comes as fast as he can to come and get me! Now he’s not consistent though he’ll do it some times but not all the times but it’s so random and today he really scared me to the point where I couldn’t even move for 5 minutes because I was so scared of him and he was just in front of me not letting me take a step. idk what to do about it! Please help!
Tonight, after they've all gone to roost, go into the coop with a flashlight, grab that mean rooster off the roost, and invite him FOR dinner. Roosters are a dime a dozen, so only keep the nice ones.

Finding a behavior unacceptable does not equate to lack of understanding.
True, but the progression of logic should link the two.
If the rooster had a hen with chicks, and say a hawk dropped out of the sky and the rooster attacked the hawk and successfully defended the hen and chicks, but died in the process, I dare say there would be a number of posts praising the rooster.
If a human stranger attempted to steal the hen and the chicks and the rooster attacked the intruder and saved the hen and chicks then I dare say there would be yet another string of posts praising the rooster.
Because in this case the person getting attacked "owns" the rooster and provides food and shelter, the rooster is somehow supposed to reconcile this with the loss of his future offspring. I wonder how many humans could manage such a moral dilema.
As far as the rooster is concerend his future offspring are being predated.
Most creatures that lay eggs will defend them. What if it was a hen defending her eggs, or chicks?
My belief is some small modifications to the humans behaviour based on the understanding of how the rooster views the events would produce positive results.
Not taking eggs while the rooster is present often works. Not feeding his hens without offering him the food to distribute has worked for me on a few occasions.
Unfortunately most people can't get further than what they want and this often leads to conflict.
So, a better understanding of the rooster may not directly equate to more acceptable behaviour but with some trivial modifications to the keepers behaviour it might.
It's got to be a more constructive approach than killing anything that exhibits unacceptable behaviour hsn't it?

Last edited:
Tonight, after they've all gone to roost, go into the coop with a flashlight, grab that mean rooster off the roost, and invite him FOR dinner. Roosters are a dime a dozen, so only keep the nice ones.
Suppose I suggest to you that life is a unit measure; a bit like a spark, it's either glowing, or it isn't. There is no unknown state.
Suppose then I suggest that all life has the same unit spark. That spark is no bigger, or better in a dog, than it is in an ant. Both are subject to the on or off condition.
I don't think I could be at ease with myself if I felt comfortable placing a price on this spark, or if I did then should I price human life on the same scale?
Perhaps we could arange the scale by the number of creatures of a particular species there are. Bengal tigers, being rare, would be close to maximum value.
Humans because there are so many of us; we would be close to your dime a dozen group.

My rooster was pretty agressive (but he gets scared pretty easily so when i only acted like i was about to kick him he ran away and gave up). He gave up on attacking me when i started carrying him around, not letting him go for 10-15 minutes, but you can't bully him, just carry him, or even feed him when he's in your hands. The other rooster (much more agressive) gave up on attacking me when i started locking him up in the coop / rabbit hutch for even 5 minutes, though he was still running at me when i was leaving the pen but didn't attack. When he noticed me entering the chicken run he run behind the coop and only took a few looks to check if i was still there. That was my experience with agressive roos.

Suppose I suggest to you that life is a unit measure; a bit like a spark, it's either glowing, or it isn't. There is no unknown state.
Suppose then I suggest that all life has the same unit spark. That spark is no bigger, or better in a dog, than it is in an ant. Both are subject to the on or off condition.
I don't think I could be at ease with myself if I felt comfortable placing a price on this spark, or if I did then should I price human life on the same scale?
Perhaps we could arange the scale by the number of creatures of a particular species there are. Bengal tigers, being rare, would be close to maximum value.
Humans because there are so many of us; we would be close to your dime a dozen group.
Off topic nonsense.

I think @Shadrach is trying to tell y'all that if you let the rooster be a rooster from the beginning, instead of treating him like a lap dog perhaps you will have less human aggressive cock birds. I know I did this with a cockerel and we worked together nicely for 4 years. He attacked me once as a cockerel, when he first got hens for himself, I smacked him one and he looked confused, but he never attacked me again. (He did peck my leg once, when I was standing on his foot :lau ) I let him be the rooster of his flock and I was his helper and when necessary, the head hen in charge. He protected his flock well and was a good provider and everything a rooster should be, but was never human aggressive again

@A_net27 we had two cockerels/rooster from our original flock that we purposefully bought. The head male had to go after he kept attacking the tween child. As the goal was not to instill fear in the kid, and kid was doing their best with the situation, and was in that area quite a bit, we decided that a serious injury was not our goal (face/eye as tween wasn’t very tall at that point). So he was sold.

Then second male was flock leader. He tried to be aggressive to tween, but tween managed to squelch that behavior and this male was always good to tween and got used to tween handling him. This male tried to be aggressive to an adult male, but this adult was so surprised by the sudden attack, they instinctively kicked rooster into next week. Rooster didn’t go after any adult males after that. But, that rooster was aggressive to me all the time. So, I always took a sturdy metal rod (rebar garden stake) with me. No, not to hit him! But, I would hold it out in front of me in a vertical manner, so that the rod was the closest thing to the rooster, not me. Basically, he tried attacking the rod a few times, and decided that beak on metal was not a great thing, he would still stalk me occasionally. So, I would walk directly towards him (Stake in front of me vertically), and he would go the other way, and generally leave me alone for the short duration I needed to be in the run to take care of whatever. But, I always had my rod with me. And, tween child would get a laugh about how the rooster was so good to them but stalked me!

overall, it seems males are better behaved when raised by older/experienced chickens vs same age flock. Of course, can get an aggressive male still, but our subsequent males have been better behaved over all.

Back
Top Bottom