1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My rooster is sick and i don't know what's wrong with him ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Naina, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Naina

Naina New Egg

Aug 22, 2015
    He woke up this morning normal, he didn't seem to be suffering from anything .
    In the evening, he was somehow silent & kept on closing his eyes. A few days ago, i noticed that he's having difficulty in eating and drinking. This evening, he had his meal normally,but there was a lot of saliva within his throat even though he's breathing normally.
    Right now he's asleep, i've tried to wake him up several times , he lifts his head a little with eyes closed ... I'm really worried and i have no idea what's wrong with him ?????

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Water Under the Bridge Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Sounds like he has internal parasites. If there is increased salivation, I would guess he has Cankers, which is caused by a protozoan infection in the throat. I would try deworming him.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is his crop full and firm or like a balloon? Does he have a bad odor from his beak, or is the material coming out of his mouth smelling bad? Has he been wormed recently? If you look inside his beak and throat with a flashlight while someone holds him, can you see any yellow or grayish patches that should not be there? I would mix some vitamins and electrolytes into his water, and try to get him drinking.

4. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    I'd go get him de-wormed also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by