my rooster is sick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ginabeaudrie, Jan 22, 2013.

1. ginabeaudrie

ginabeaudrie New Egg

Jan 22, 2013
    he has diarea and mostly just stands there. i set up a cadge and hes in the house does anybody have advise or might know whats wrong with him

2. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm a new egg also and really don't know a lot about diseases and such, but I have been having issues with some of my chickens and a rooster also that started out this way, so I thought since no one else has answered you, I would try. Does he have any other symptoms like coughing or sneezing or runny nose? Mine had these problems, like a respiratory infection, so on advise I have been treating him with antibiotic Tetracycline. If he just has diarrhea, seems he could have any number of problems, maybe even an infection of some kind, but that's how my problems started. From reading up on all of this, you have the very first thing you do, right. Isolate him in a warm place and keep an eye on him. If he doesn't want to eat or drink for a long time, you will need to address the dehydration issue and give him some supplement in a syringe (without needle) or a dropper to keep him hydrated. If he gets dehydrated, he will weaken and immune system will not be able to fight off whatever it is. I got a bag of Electrolytes at feed store for $4.00, lasts a long time since you only use very little per gallon. Only mix enough to turn the water the color of Mt. Dew. Hope he eats and drinks on his own. Let us know how he progresses, and keep him warm. So sorry he's sick.

3. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Both, Welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

It would be nice to know if he has any other abnormal symptoms. Like: depression, puffed up, foamy eye, paralysis.

Diarrhea could mean several different things, is it bloody, foamy, clear, etc?

4. Harry Rooster

Harry Rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Thanks for the welcome. You know my rooster (cockrel?) had a lot of symptoms, runny nose, then turned to yellow mucus in nose and mouth, diarreha yellow foamy at start, would'nt eat or drink, swollen eye, swollen nostrils, cough and sneezing, just standing, and definately depression and tiredness. He has always been fine no problems he is not a year old yet. We never had any problems with our chickens other than preditors until we got these new ones. But he was never in the pen with them, he has always been free range, it must have been airborne because I saw him looking at the new chicks in the pen he was close, but not but once and not for long. Then the next day...ect. But he is much better now, except he now has a sore on the side of his head, the side that was not swollen. It's by where his ear is. I've been putting neosporin on it and it may be crusting over now. I hope "ginabeaudrie" does't have any of these problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by