My rooster is stomping his feet at me!

Our rooster tries this too...

My kids and I pick them up when they do this and hug them and talk to them and walk around holding them. I tell the kids to make sure not to allow the roos to be "above" their shoulder height. They stroke them and pet them and talk to them until the roo settles.

My daughter sits and feeds the roo by hand with him sitting on a cushion beside her.

It seems to keep our rooster in check.

Hope it helps.
thumbsup.gif

My roo started sizing me up a couple of days ago before we culled the rest of the roosters. we picked him because he protected the flock best and he was the prettiest. Now he is rattling his wings in front of me. I don't know what it means but it scared me. I gave him a slap on the back end and he stopped but he is still watching me.
I don't know if this has ever been done but I think im gonna make me a special purse to carry him around while im doing my chores around the house.

I know this is an old thread, but I hope to get some feedback!
Our roo is 5/6 months old. When we brought him home, we had 3 hens. THEY were the dominant ones. They wouldn't even let him sleep inside the coop with them...he had to roost right outside the coop box. He was very much at their mercy although he was able to start mating with at least 1 of them. That was all he could manage with them, lol. Fast forward a month or so... all 3 girls were killed within days of each other (coon, we think) So he was all alone. So sad...so lonely...crowing for his girls and whining! He has been alone for about 4 days. A friend mentioned a hen that she had just gotten and offered her to me. I accepted and brought her home to him. He was in LOVE from the moment he saw her! I took her to the pen and he followed us in. I set her down and he came right up and started strutting around her...and stomping his feet! My question is...was he stomping his feet at me??? or her???

I know this is an old thread, but I hope to get some feedback!
Our roo is 5/6 months old. When we brought him home, we had 3 hens. THEY were the dominant ones. They wouldn't even let him sleep inside the coop with them...he had to roost right outside the coop box. He was very much at their mercy although he was able to start mating with at least 1 of them. That was all he could manage with them, lol. Fast forward a month or so... all 3 girls were killed within days of each other (coon, we think) So he was all alone. So sad...so lonely...crowing for his girls and whining! He has been alone for about 4 days. A friend mentioned a hen that she had just gotten and offered her to me. I accepted and brought her home to him. He was in LOVE from the moment he saw her! I took her to the pen and he followed us in. I set her down and he came right up and started strutting around her...and stomping his feet! My question is...was he stomping his feet at me??? or her???
Probably stomping his feet at her. That was a long time for a young Roo to not mate. You’ll know when he’s stomping at you, don’t turn your back on that! I believe we should kill them with kindness if they start sizing us up. Always have scratch or meal worms with you until he realizes you’re not a threat and his hormones calm down. By the way, you will probably need more hens or the one you have will be over mated.

Not a good sign, as others have said, and now you enter the phase of wishing he would just be nice, often times now is when we bring out the excuses, I startled him, he doesn't like my shoes...yada, yada, yada...

I think he is top dog with his flock mate pullets, and is probably bullying them. I would suspect he was friendly and outgoing while young. Now he is just not afraid of you, which means he has no respect for your space, and is pretty sure you should be respecting his.

By all means, try the training if you are an adult, and there are no children under the age of 6. Children tend to take an attack in the face! Do watch for other aggressive behavior, such as fluffing up at you, incessant crowing when you are there, jumping up on stuff to make himself taller than you. A stink eye stare.

Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate how violent an attack can be. BEWARE.

Mrs K

Not a good sign, as others have said, and now you enter the phase of wishing he would just be nice, often times now is when we bring out the excuses, I startled him, he doesn't like my shoes...yada, yada, yada...

I think he is top dog with his flock mate pullets, and is probably bullying them. I would suspect he was friendly and outgoing while young. Now he is just not afraid of you, which means he has no respect for your space, and is pretty sure you should be respecting his.

By all means, try the training if you are an adult, and there are no children under the age of 6. Children tend to take an attack in the face! Do watch for other aggressive behavior, such as fluffing up at you, incessant crowing when you are there, jumping up on stuff to make himself taller than you. A stink eye stare.

Most inexperienced people vastly underestimate how violent an attack can be. BEWARE.

I am new to the chicken world and have a young rooster who recently started stomping in fluffing. Before he matured, we had a bobcat problem that managed to kill 10 of our 13 chickens. Luckily, my husband shot and killed it. We had the rooster and two hens left when he came of age 2 weeks later, and started to mount them. In fear of him over mating them, I bought 9, one year old ladies to join the tiny flock. After the quarantine, they have been living together with little to no issues. Other than the odd, new behavior from the rooster. He is a Buff Orpington and is huge for being less than six months old. Thankfully, his spurs are just tiny nubs at this point. I am trying to kill him with kindness. Anytime I go near the flock, I don’t turn my back on him and I always have some sort of food with me. If he starts to stomp, The food knocks him out of his state of mind. We also sit with them every night and hand feed them at sunset. I’m hoping all of this will help us get through his rowdy young days and we can live together peacefully in the future. I really want a rooster because I free range my chickens during the day. Any advice will help. I can’t pick him up and carry him around because I can’t catch him. He used to climb on my lap in the evenings, now only the girls do. I apologize for this being one giant paragraph, but when I hit the return button, it starts a whole new section. Weird. Again, any advice would be great! Thanks in advance!

MrsThousand - it will work or it won't. If there were a set of rules, whereas if you do this, then the rooster will do that and be wonderful, there would be a lot of happy people out there.

A few get over it, MOST GET WORSE. Be very aware. Truthfully, I don't think there is much you can do if one waits until there is a problem.

WE have all been there, just wishing the !#$!^$&^$% would be nice, we loved him... Thing is, a rotten rooster can ruin the whole deal. Have a plan B.

Mrs K

MrsThousand - it will work or it won't. If there were a set of rules, whereas if you do this, then the rooster will do that and be wonderful, there would be a lot of happy people out there.

A few get over it, MOST GET WORSE. Be very aware. Truthfully, I don't think there is much you can do if one waits until there is a problem.

WE have all been there, just wishing the !#$!^$&^$% would be nice, we loved him... Thing is, a rotten rooster can ruin the whole deal. Have a plan B.

Mrs K
Thank you for replying! I have been spending more time around him, and he hasn’t stomped his feet at me or given me the chicken eye since Tuesday. Praying this continues. 🙏🤞🏼

Back
Top Bottom