My rooster keeps attacking me!!!!1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I'm not going to follow this thread anymore. You asked for advice but it seems as though you have your mind made up all males are bad. Everyone here has tried to help. I have over a dozen males and they are all good birds of varying breeds. Breed has nothing to do with it. You can have a any breed and have an aggressive male. I started keep poultry around 50 years ago so I have a little experience. Good luck...

I’ve had one rooster before and he treated me exactly like my hens do. He was an RIR and very sweet. If the rooster cost good money then you could sell him for good money, and buy a sweet one with some of that money.
6C9EC92B-2266-4C4F-9FDA-C8AA07642C18.jpeg

Maybe get a cage big enough to put him in.
Then you can walk in, grab the rooster, and put him in the cage.
Then do whatever else you need to do, and let the rooster out at the end.

That way the rooster does not get to attack you--because you grab him first!
And it keeps everyone safe (you, the rooster, the hens.)
That's a decent idea

Maybe get a cage big enough to put him in.
Then you can walk in, grab the rooster, and put him in the cage.
Then do whatever else you need to do, and let the rooster out at the end.

That way the rooster does not get to attack you--because you grab him first!
And it keeps everyone safe (you, the rooster, the hens.)
This is also a pretty good idea! It always helps to know your roo! As crazy as it may sound, my first roo insisted I let him out to help me do chores before I let the hens out. If I didn't, he'd chase me! We worked it out so that he could come out 5 min. before the hens and patrol the yard, and he wouldn't attack me. I know, I probably sound crazy, but it worked for me!

Any applicable techniques for that?

I tend to agree but thought offering OP some advice instead of broad ethical things may be helpful. I was wrong lol, but for my own edification, how do you instill respect in a rooster then?
Show your dominance right from the start as chicks. Stop them from attacking you by standing your ground but do not openly attack or chase. Not to mention treats. If he is given treats often enough from the start I find that they see you as a source of food instead of a threat and can even be trained to come to a certain call when you train them that way. We had a too last year that went after our kids because they chased the hens. He even got them a tiny bit. But after teaching them to stand up for themselves (under our watch with a fence separating them and the rooster) and after several lessons about not bothering the hens, our too no longer sees them as a threat again, and returned to being the docile rooster he'd been for three years. What we taught them to do is simply face the rooster and make themselves look bigger to show they are the more dominant ones. But they did not chase him. And never again chased the hens. We have not had an issue since then. And now we can safely free range all our full size roosters with the kids in the yard.

Just so you know, I have never once hit any of our roosters to tame them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom