my rooster keeps attacking me!

hilltopchicka

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 9, 2014
Hello, I am new at raising chickens - this is my first year. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster has recently started attacking me. However, he never attacks my husband. He tried to attack one of the grandkids a couple of times, but fortunately did not hurt him. Any suggestions on how I can make him stop? My hens are so laid back and sweet. I love them all, but I cannot put up with the roo attacking me and my grands!! Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

Others have techniques that I'm sure they'll chime in with.
Roosters attack predators and other roosters. He may see you as a competitor for the hens' attention. He may also see your husband as the dominant rooster. Whatever, I think one that attacks will continue to do so. Any that have attacked me tasted just like chicken.
I think that behavior can be passed on to offspring.
I keep very aloof breeds, move slowly around them and bring treats. I haven't been attacked in years and sometimes have as many as 30 or more roosters/cockerels.

I never go to the pen without bringing treats and I always talk sweet and soft to them ... I am very soft spoken anyhow. I'm hoping he will stop this behavior, but if he doesn't, well, we will see. I am very much enjoying raising chickens and I am anxious to learn all I can. I have been reading BYC forums for quite awhile now. It is very informative!! LOVE IT!! Thank you!!

I agree; he'll taste just like chicken! Human aggressive cockrels are dangerous, and as an adult rooster, he could do real damage, especially to a child. I like my birds, and currently have two roosters and four cockrels, but have zero tolerance for nasty behavior. IMO they only get worse over time. Mary

I just had to rehome a 5mnth cockerel after he attacked my daughter. I wouldn't let my husband cull him he was my first rooster, but we couldn't keep him. We will see how my other one will be. Had new one and 4 females since they were about 4 weeks. Don't let 1 bad roo ruin you on them. They all have different personalities and once their hormones kick in you never know what your gonna get. The next one might be super sweet and protective of his girls. Good luck!!!!

Re-Home or Roast. Those are your best options.

For Option One you will have to advertise, interview, and arrange transport.

For Option Two, you will need thyme and butter.

Your choice
big_smile.png

- Krista

When he attacks offer him food.

He sees you as either a threat to his hens or a competing rooster. Fighting him, or running away from him only serve to reinforce this mindset.

So do the thing a predator or competing rooster will never do, give him food.

When he attacks offer him food.

He sees you as either a threat to his hens or a competing rooster. Fighting him, or running away from him only serve to reinforce this mindset.

So do the thing a predator or competing rooster will never do, give him food.
That teaches the rooster one thing - to continue his attacking behavior and be rewarded. You can't give a positive response to negative behavior and expect the rooster not to make a positive association to that negative behavior.

Back
Top Bottom