my rooster keeps attacking me!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hilltopchicka, Sep 10, 2014.

1. hilltopchicka

hilltopchicka Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2014
    Hello, I am new at raising chickens - this is my first year. I have 4 hens and 1 rooster. The rooster has recently started attacking me. However, he never attacks my husband. He tried to attack one of the grandkids a couple of times, but fortunately did not hurt him. Any suggestions on how I can make him stop? My hens are so laid back and sweet. I love them all, but I cannot put up with the roo attacking me and my grands!! Thanks for any advice you can give! :)

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Others have techniques that I'm sure they'll chime in with.
    Roosters attack predators and other roosters. He may see you as a competitor for the hens' attention. He may also see your husband as the dominant rooster. Whatever, I think one that attacks will continue to do so. Any that have attacked me tasted just like chicken.
    I think that behavior can be passed on to offspring.
    I keep very aloof breeds, move slowly around them and bring treats. I haven't been attacked in years and sometimes have as many as 30 or more roosters/cockerels.

3. hilltopchicka

hilltopchicka Just Hatched

Sep 9, 2014
    I never go to the pen without bringing treats and I always talk sweet and soft to them ... I am very soft spoken anyhow. I'm hoping he will stop this behavior, but if he doesn't, well, we will see. I am very much enjoying raising chickens and I am anxious to learn all I can. I have been reading BYC forums for quite awhile now. It is very informative!! LOVE IT!! Thank you!!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I agree; he'll taste just like chicken! Human aggressive cockrels are dangerous, and as an adult rooster, he could do real damage, especially to a child. I like my birds, and currently have two roosters and four cockrels, but have zero tolerance for nasty behavior. IMO they only get worse over time. Mary

5. newguineamom

newguineamom Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2014
    I just had to rehome a 5mnth cockerel after he attacked my daughter. I wouldn't let my husband cull him he was my first rooster, but we couldn't keep him. We will see how my other one will be. Had new one and 4 females since they were about 4 weeks. Don't let 1 bad roo ruin you on them. They all have different personalities and once their hormones kick in you never know what your gonna get. The next one might be super sweet and protective of his girls. Good luck!!!!

6. krista74

krista74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2014
    Victoria, Australia.
    Re-Home or Roast. Those are your best options.

For Option One you will have to advertise, interview, and arrange transport.

For Option Two, you will need thyme and butter.

Your choice [​IMG]

- Krista

7. LanceTN

LanceTN Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    When he attacks offer him food.

He sees you as either a threat to his hens or a competing rooster. Fighting him, or running away from him only serve to reinforce this mindset.

So do the thing a predator or competing rooster will never do, give him food.

8. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    So he tries to hurt you and you reward with food??!! Any critter who's willing to attack another critter who's 20x larger, and has fed him his whole life, is not smart and not likely to get better with treats. Mary

2 people like this.
  9. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That teaches the rooster one thing - to continue his attacking behavior and be rewarded. You can't give a positive response to negative behavior and expect the rooster not to make a positive association to that negative behavior.

1 person likes this.
  10. duluthralphie

duluthralphie Chicken Wrangler Premium Member

Jul 11, 2014
    Orrock township, Minnesota
    I would not give him much time to change his ways.

I would walk towards him at a normal speed as often as possible to see if he gives way to you.

Of course, that will not solve the problem with kids.... BUT I am pretty sure a stint in freezer camp would end it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by