My rooster killed a hawk!

Quote:
If you have a pred problem roosters stand vigil and keep the peace among the flock. At least if you have one like my Nick. The girls love him. Try to find one who does the "dance" not one who just ambushes the girls any time he wants. He will tolerate young roos if the chance happens to be there until you remove them. Keep them together and they get along fine. Oh Nick is a non-hatchery Delaware. Older and nice. The girls love older men you know.

Quote:
Do you have pictures of it?
What was the species?

It was a Cooper's Hawk, like I wrote above. I didn't take pictures, but I have other pictures of Cooper Hawks that have visited over the years. Here's one:

69940_coopers_hawk_front.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a rear view of one that visited last summer. Yes, it is the chicken run fence he is sitting on. At that time, the runs were too small for him to try to get down in them. He hung around long enough on different fences for my son to take about 30 pictures.

We will be hanging up tinfoil strips on wires across the top of the run today!

69940_dsc_0482.jpg

I only wish my EE roosters fought back like that. They were hiding when a redtail got in my run and killed a EE hen! Then when a Coopers attacked a bantam in the yard they did not take it on, were by some shrubs fussing.. Perhaps they are still too young at 8 months or are they wimps? I see you hail from Va Coast. Eastern Shore here, bayside.

I'm not sure what he is. His dad was half bantam - very fierce guy! I think it's still coming through.

69940_saladcrop.jpg

Teresa, next to Small Daddy in the picture above, brought up the next generation, but Rambo (below) has some tufts/beard and some colors that makes me wonder if he's part Ameraucana and not her son...

69940_dsc_0625.jpg

Quote:
frow.gif
@ Crabman - I can see over to you on a clear day! Your roosters are welcome to self-defense training at Camp Guinea! ;-)

Last edited:
What a bruiser. I keep telling hubby about these rooster stories and he is amazed. He keeps saying, I used to think they were pretty much useless but now I have a lot more respect for them. I have a big RIR rooster and hubby was a little worried about him going at him (because we've had some mean roosters before) but I just tell him, no, he just wants to know if you have anything interesting to eat. He seems to be doing a great job so far but no heroics yet as far as I know. I hope he never has to!

Back
Top Bottom