My rooster killed a hawk!

Toril

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Virginia Coast
I thought I had a wimpy rooster - he was on the bottom of the ladder when his dad and brother were still alive - but today I found a dead Cooper's Hawk in the chicken run!

We found a dead hen in the run yesterday, a girl we had for a long time.
sad.png
We thought it was a possum or racoon, because her head was missing. This is only the second bird I have ever lost to predators, and the other one was very young, white and wouldn't go in with the others at night. She was also headless, and it happened earlier this fall. I've had chickens for 4-5 years here and never lost one before this year!

I'm not sure that this fairly small hawk could have killed a hen twice its size like that? We're also uncertain when it could have happened - didn't think possums and racoons would come during the day - and the fence around the chicken run is tall, more than 6 foot above ground. It also shares a wall to the large backyard where our dogs are out.

I am not sure how the hawk was killed, because it didn't have any visible injuries except (IF YOU DON'T LIKE HORROR MOVIES, DON'T SCROLL DOWN!)

it's eyes were pecked out.
sickbyc.gif

I feel bad about the hen, but I also feel bad about the hawk. It didn't look like it had been fighting back at all. And I can't look at my chickens the same way anymore.

Congrats to your rooster! Don't think of it as a bad thing this is what he is supposed to do. He is there to protect his ladies. Sorry to heat about your hen but good job roo!
thumbsup.gif

There were no pictures. I left an open space so you would have to scroll down in order to get to the description of what happened to the hawk. I thought it was horrible.

No, it's horrible what happened to the chicken, but I feel like if I had a cow and it killed a dog... It tilted my view of my innocent chicken somewhat.

I think the rooster was very protective - we noticed he was very alert the day we lost the hen, he didn't want to go in when it got dark until all the hens were up roosting. I wonder if they had it all planned... 'When it comes back, y'all run under the covered part of the run where the hawk can't fly up and distract him, and then I'll attack!'

So should I have the hawk stuffed and hang on a trophy wall in the rooster's part of the coop?
lol.png

Does anyone have an idea if it could have been this hawk that took the head of my hen?

Back
Top Bottom