My rooster killed a hawk!

Well, let me show you what I found a few days ago. One of my chickens broke its right wing. It's a Merlin...a type of falcon. I rescued it and turned it over to a wildlife rehab group. I think its eyes were far too big for its stomach...and size. I have a Silver Phoenix Rooster that knows Kung Fu...and a Black Jersey Giant hen that's his sidekick. This Merlin didn't have a chance.

merlin.jpg

So it's possums or raccoons that just eat heads off? It's been six nights in a row where I've gone down to check on coops and found one dead hen/rooster, headless! Last night I put a trap out but caught nothing, so tonight I'm going to try the mini-marshmallows trick. While I was checking last night, I huge owl flew off. I caught it in my flashlight beam and watched it for about 5 minutes. Don't know exactly what type of owl it was, but it was quite large. I've seen GHOs and it wasn't one of them. ...... I'm losing all of my laying hens....dang!

Quote:
Actually owls are known for taking heads off, too. Raccoons and possums will yank off any piece they can pull through the fence, and a head is a pretty convenient small package to pull off.

Quote:
I think that's coons that do that, not hawks. Once a hawk is on the ground it's kinda awkward.

I recount these stories to my boyfriend so that I have a better chance of getting a rooster in the spring...See we NEED a rooster!

A buddy showed me a picture of a red tail hawk INSIDE his coop! What a mess.

Its been my experience (unfortunately) that coons will take the head off. I had a coon get in the coop one night - killed all the hens & left the headless bodies all over the place.

Set your trap - If its the owl - just close up the coop & they should be safe - If its a coon it may take a couple of days to catch - I use dog food as bait - it works well - though I've caught my dog & a neighbor cat too!

Oh - & if you catch the coon - in my opinion dont relocate - a coon thats been caught in a trap will never be caught again! if you relocate him - he is someone elses problem & hes a lot smarter than when you caught him

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom