My rooster was killed and now my flock is confused

Juliesayshello

In the Brooder
Jul 13, 2016
Tishomingo, MS
I have a small flock of Silkies. I had one rooster and 3 hens, with several new chicks. My rooster was attacked, I believe by a raccoon or possum and was killed. I am very new at having chickens and really unsure as what to do? My poor little hens seem so lost and confused and won't return to the coop at night. I have to pick them up and place them back in.
My questions are: What do I need to do to about losing my rooster? Do I replace him with a new one? Will he take charge of the my hens if he is new? and will the hens take to him? Also, how do I teach them now to go back into the coop?
Any help will be appreciated.

A flock can take a few days to adjust to the loss of a flock member....especially a smaller flock.
They'll figure it out, but yes put them in the coop at night if they don't do it on their own.

How old are your birds?
If you get a nice, adult cockbird he should fit right in..... after day or two of segregated observation.

This happened to my neighbor's flock last month (1 yr old Isa Browns). The poor girls witnessed an eagle kill their rooster. They were freaked out to the point they wouldn't go back to the coop at night. It took a few days to capture them all and he locked them back in their coop for 3 weeks. Now that he has let them out, most of them will return to the coop at night but there are 2 that don't. Pretty traumatizing! You may want to keep them locked up in the coop for at least 2 weeks. Good luck and I am so sorry for your loss.

We just lost our rooster that started from the beginning days of this newly established flock. Its a bummer because we finally had a good system and everyone had their order and rolls established. 3 years in the making now disrupted. Do I get a matured rooster or do I just let it be. My girls seem to be adjusting fine, they don't seem to be traumatized by the loss. They're doing their everyday routine as usual and this is day 3. Is it more stress on them to add a new man to the group or just let flock be? Is my egg production going to lessen? Need advise...

We just lost our rooster that started from the beginning days of this newly established flock. Its a bummer because we finally had a good system and everyone had their order and rolls established. 3 years in the making now disrupted. Do I get a matured rooster or do I just let it be. My girls seem to be adjusting fine, they don't seem to be traumatized by the loss. They're doing their everyday routine as usual and this is day 3. Is it more stress on them to add a new man to the group or just let flock be? Is my egg production going to lessen? Need advise...
Sorry for your loss. How did you 'lose' him?

Replacing a good cockbird can be tough,
unless you know someone with a 'good' adult one that needs a new home,
it's usually the easiest integration tho.

How much stress it might cause is hard to judge.
Could depend on your setup for housing/enclosures,
could also depend on the demeanor of all birds involved.

I'm going to assume you are in the northern hemisphere, with fall/winter fast approaching, and your girls will soon be slowing and/or ceasing their laying and probably molting as well. So may not really affect your production but molting birds van be crabby so that may up the stress.

Maybe most the important question to ask yourself is,
do you need a male in the flock?

we believe it was a fox as it seems to be the common predator around my area and yes we are in the far northern NY region where fall has just begun. My cousin does have an adult black orpinton rooster that needs a new home and she said he is a good boy. My current coop/pen space is approximately 150 square feet. lots of space for 13 girls. the protection is always nice to have even if the outcome was like our Hercules. I'm sure he was just doing his job.. go for the new cock?

Sounds pretty good.
You might want to confine him for a day or two before letting him loose.
Here's to hoping everyone likes everyone else!

Sounds pretty good.
You might want to confine him for a day or two before letting him loose.
Here's to hoping everyone likes everyone else!
thank you for taking the time to give me your insight on the matter :) if we get him this evening ill post is handsome face on here!

If I were you, I'd absolutely take the orpington. I like having a roo around and (generally) orpingtons are great birds and on the calmer side. That doesn't mean you need him. You're girls will be perfectly content on their own, but if I were without a roo and someone offered me a good mannered orpington, I'd jump on it.

Back
Top Bottom