My rooster was shot and is still alive...help.

First of all, how horrible! I understand having too many roosters, but I wish your stepdad, if he felt there were no other options, had at least talked with you beforehand. I can imagine life at home is more than a little uncomfortable right now.

I have spent a LOT of effort and money trying to give my ailing poultry and other critters a fighting chance. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes, it doesn't.

It sounds like your boy wants to live, which is half the battle, I think. I hope you are able to figure out what he needs and are able to provide it.

Let us know what happens next, please! This is a caring community that will embrace you when you need support and/or encouragement.

Sorry it took me so long. Here is a picture of him. He is dragging his wing around and is a little wobbly. Still eating and drinking.

Attachments

• 20220308_155440.jpg
    20220308_155440.jpg
    634.6 KB · Views: 7
First of all, how horrible! I understand having too many roosters, but I wish your stepdad, if he felt there were no other options, had at least talked with you beforehand. I can imagine life at home is more than a little uncomfortable right now.

I have spent a LOT of effort and money trying to give my ailing poultry and other critters a fighting chance. Sometimes, it works, and sometimes, it doesn't.

It sounds like your boy wants to live, which is half the battle, I think. I hope you are able to figure out what he needs and are able to provide it.

Let us know what happens next, please! This is a caring community that will embrace you when you need support and/or encouragement.
Yep, he is feeling pretty bad for doing it now. They were going to be meat chickens at first but when that didn't happen I started treating them as pets. So, I'm pretty sad about it. Weird to get so attached to this darn rooster, but I did. Since he is doing the same today, I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and hopefully get an idea of how much it would cost for somebody to look him over. Unfortunately if it's too pricy I'll just do my best to give him that fighting chance the best way I can.

Yep, he is feeling pretty bad for doing it now. They were going to be meat chickens at first but when that didn't happen I started treating them as pets. So, I'm pretty sad about it. Weird to get so attached to this darn rooster, but I did. Since he is doing the same today, I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and hopefully get an idea of how much it would cost for somebody to look him over. Unfortunately if it's too pricy I'll just do my best to give him that fighting chance the best way I can.
He for sure has a broken wing. Is there any flesh damaged?

Its
None that I can see. I can't even see any blood, it's really weird. Although, I stopped handling him so much in case I would end up making something worse.
Possible that he only caught a couple pellets that broke his wing. I'd take him to the vet if you don't want to set the wing. It's more of a 2 person job. I had one with a broken wing, my friend held the rooster while I duct taped the wing to his body. It eventually healed and he could flap it again. I'd probably dissolve an aspirin in water and put a few drops in his mouth to ease his pain.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. He is one BEAUTIFUL rooster. I'm glad to hear that your stepdad feels badly about what happened; that should at least ease some tensions at home.

I've never had poultry with broken wings, but several of my birds have sustained injuries that left them with parts that didn't work as well as they should. Those birds, for the most part, adjusted to their new reality and lived perfectly happy lives -- or in the case of one really feisty little Cochin Bantam hen, continues to live a perfectly happy life.

Sally's leg wound was so bad that we considered amputation; that was 3 years ago. Her leg still has a blood supply but surgery left her with a leg that doesn't move correctly. She hops around as fast as any of the others run -- and repeatedly lets the Cochin Bantam rooster know that she is NOT having any of his shenanigans!

If a vet is out of the question, it sounds like @GregnLety has a strategy for fixing a broken wing. I'd exhaust all the possibilities to give this boy a chance, if he was my rooster.

Best wishes for your family and your rooster!

Back
Top Bottom