my rooster wont walk please help!!!

MuddyChicken

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 30, 2011
I bought a barred rock at a chicken swap. And we noticed that his spurs are really long we removed them with a hot potato and pliers and he has been fine, But he doesn't walk around i have to put him in the house at night . we have to take him out every morning to. PLEASE HELP !!!

Sounds like sour or impacted crop.

check this forum for treatment of sour crop.

you need to isolate and get some plain yogurt(no flavoring) and mix it with his feed. Then get some apple cider vinegar(acv) and let it drink that.

and you need to do it fast!!

we lost one chicken due to that this year,and saved 5. If hes already on the ground,you cant waste a moment.

Quote:
Out of curiosity.. how do you figure that he has sour crop because he's not walking?

I can't help much but hopefully someone will come along that can offer good advice on what is wrong with your boy!

Because Ive had chickens with sour crop so bad that they cant walk.Its a symtom of that disease.Ive lost birds misdiagnosed due to ill-advisement on sour crop (not on this site),and they said they got them fron a chicken trader so who knows how they had their chooks.

But thank you for saying I dont have good advice.
hmm.png

is your roos legs broken?
is he missing legs,toes or the like?
does he have something stuck or stabbed in his legs?
is his legs entangled with netting,rope,wire,or the like that he cannot stand?
does he have bugs attached and draining his leg power?
does he have a chunk of kryptonite tied on him somewhere?

if NOT, then check its crop. Sour crop will make them be lethargic,then their wings will droop,then their abdomen and crop will be squshy,then they will sit and wont stand,then in a day or so die.

Pickaduck, how can you say my advice isnt good,since I got it from peeps here?

our friend has had chickens since he was 2 years old & he told us that since the chick was alive he probably lived in a cage his whole life. And it probably wasn't that bigger than him so he couldn't move around a lot

Quote:
I am sorry if it came across that way - I wasn't meaning to say yours wasn't any good. I should have said I hope someone comes along with more advice and options. Not that what you said is wrong or that you aren't offering good advice. I'm sorry for the misunderstanding and thank you for explaining that to me - I had no idea about sour crop displaying that symptom. Again, I'm sorry!
sad.png

Was he walking funny when you brought him home is that why you removed his spurs?

Hi Everyone, my 11 yr old son posted that first message! When I bought him last week @ a Tractor Supply chix swap and brought "Big Joe" home all he did was sit. Upon looking closer "Big Joe" has very long spurs, approx. each one 3" in length, and his legs above the spurs were red, like his spurs were rubbing his legs raw. Anyway, we used the bake potato method (that we learned here on BYC) to remove both spurs, quick and easy. After a few hours "Big Joe" began walking more, a week later he is crowing w/the best of them and walking around and doing very well. Thank you all for your suggestions!
big_smile.png

Quote:
Out of curiosity.. how do you figure that he has sour crop because he's not walking?

I can't help much but hopefully someone will come along that can offer good advice on what is wrong with your boy!

pickaduck
I think someone just tried to help, if you can not help why post to offend someone who has tried.

Back
Top Bottom