My roosters are about 4 months and neither of them has started crowing and none of them have tail sickles.

Im giving them cracked corn, i bought some broiler feed for them but they didn't eat it all, they tried to but it fell out of their beaks. I made the feed in a powder but they didnt eat that at all

That's definitely not a complete feed -- like giving your kids nothing but cookies. :(

Try wetting the good feed to make it more attractive to them.

I agree, they need much better nutrition. Wetting the feed to a porridge consistency is good. Buying some chicken feed pellets or mash is essential. They've basically got a 100% carbohydrate diet, which is totally insufficient. Eventually they will die, either from malnutrition or from a disease or parasite that their weakened immune systems can't fight off.

Hope you manage to bring them round.

I agree, they need much better nutrition. Wetting the feed to a porridge consistency is good. Buying some chicken feed pellets or mash is essential. They've basically got a 100% carbohydrate diet, which is totally insufficient. Eventually they will die, either from malnutrition or from a disease or parasite that their weakened immune systems can't fight off.

Hope you manage to bring them round.
Ok so i bought the chicken feed pellets but they arent eating it at all, they just look at it and go away how do i feed it to them? And im really sorry for being so ignorant they ran around all fine but i actually didnt know they were sick all along. Feel so bad but instead of giving up on them ill try to make it up for my mistakes

Ok so i bought the chicken feed pellets but they arent eating it at all, they just look at it and go away how do i feed it to them? And im really sorry for being so ignorant they ran around all fine but i actually didnt know they were sick all along. Feel so bad but instead of giving up on them ill try to make it up for my mistakes
Just leave it as their only source of food. They'll eventually eat it.

Don't beat yourself up. The important thing is you're now doing the right thing. We all make mistakes sometimes. ❤️ This is why BYC is such a great resource!

Ok so i bought the chicken feed pellets but they arent eating it at all, they just look at it and go away how do i feed it to them?

Put it in a dish or feeder, make sure they also have a source of water, do not give other food, leave them to figure it out.

You can also add water to a small amount of the feed pellets, so it makes a wet mush, and see if the chickens like it that way. It's safe for them to eat as much mush as they want, but start with a small amount so you can learn how much they want of it. (You don't want a large amount to sit there and go bad, which can happen to wet food in just a day or so.)

Agree with what everyone has said about putting it down as their only food, and also wetting small amounts. They'll eventually eat it when they realise it is edible. One will start start and others will copy.

Agree with what everyone has said about putting it down as their only food, and also wetting small amounts. They'll eventually eat it when they realise it is edible. One will start start and others will copy.
Ok its been a couple of days since ive changed their diet to the feed pellets they like it and eat it very heartily but now they're poop is wet and runny, i dont know if its the weather or the change in the diet?

A lot of grass, greens and fruit can make their poop runny. Are they still getting these in their diet, either from foraging (nothing you can do) or from kitchen scraps (reduce these a bit)?

Otherwise, just stick to feeding as you are (great that they are eating the feed now) and ride it out while they get used to it.

Back
Top Bottom