My roosters are about 4 months and neither of them has started crowing and none of them have tail sickles.

Chuckenman

Chirping
Jun 23, 2021
As the title said. I have 3 roosters about 4 months old and none of then have started crowing and none have their tail sickles yet. Is this normal? This is my first time raising chickens so I don't know if this is normal or not.

Im giving them cracked corn, i bought some broiler feed for them but they didn't eat it all, they tried to but it fell out of their beaks. I made the feed in a powder but they didnt eat that at all

That's definitely not a complete feed -- like giving your kids nothing but cookies. :(

Try wetting the good feed to make it more attractive to them.

Im giving them cracked corn, i bought some broiler feed for them but they didn't eat it all, they tried to but it fell out of their beaks. I made the feed in a powder but they didnt eat that at all
They definitely need some form of complete feed as their main source of food. Cracked corn should probably only be a treat or thrown in the yard to give them something to scratch for.

I'm not sure what the nutrient values for broiler feed is. Personally I use grower feed for all my teen+ birds and offer oyster shells for the layers.

Try switching their diet to completely broiler or grower feed for a bit and see if they'll eat it consistently. They're definitely missing some nutrition needed to fill out completely and grow.

I agree, they need much better nutrition. Wetting the feed to a porridge consistency is good. Buying some chicken feed pellets or mash is essential. They've basically got a 100% carbohydrate diet, which is totally insufficient. Eventually they will die, either from malnutrition or from a disease or parasite that their weakened immune systems can't fight off.

Hope you manage to bring them round.

Ok so i bought the chicken feed pellets but they arent eating it at all, they just look at it and go away how do i feed it to them?

Put it in a dish or feeder, make sure they also have a source of water, do not give other food, leave them to figure it out.

You can also add water to a small amount of the feed pellets, so it makes a wet mush, and see if the chickens like it that way. It's safe for them to eat as much mush as they want, but start with a small amount so you can learn how much they want of it. (You don't want a large amount to sit there and go bad, which can happen to wet food in just a day or so.)

Pictures -
IMG_20210629_183736.jpg

IMG_20210704_201821.jpg

IMG_20210626_174732.jpg

1st pic is the mix
2nd is the australorp
3rd is the leghorn
Sorry couldn't get a full body pic of the leghorn, dude runs as soon as he sees the camera

Back
Top Bottom