My roosters toe is turning upside down

Ryguy3684

Here comes the Rooster
Premium Feather Member
May 29, 2020
Fauquier County, Virginia, United States.
This started a couple of months ago when it looked like Popeye had scaly legs mites. It looked bad at the base of his legs, so we treated with ivermectin and several Epsom salt baths. His toe was also bent so we thought maybe a broken toe. We kept it wrapped up to stabilize it, changing the bandages every couple of days. A week later, it looked like skin on his toe was peeling, where the current scab is. It looked like scale shedding from the dead mites, but it was pulled off before it was ready, so it eventually turned into the scab that's there now. The scab doesn't concern me as it's healing & looking much better every week.

The problem is the toe has now twisted to the point that it's completely sideways. My thought was that there was a bumble type infection on the right side of his middle toe that's pushing and twisting the entire toe. Trouble is I can't see any point of entry, so I wouldn't know where to slice if I wanted to. The swelling on the photo with the arrows was there before the scabbed wound, so it can't be the scab as point of entry. It's definitely red and swollen at the base of the toe.

Any input, or thoughts, would be appreciated. I'm at a loss with what to do. He's tender, but doesn't appear to be in much pain. Luckily, he a lap chicken, so messing with him is easy. Thanks.

Attachments

• 20240416_202331.jpg
    20240416_202331.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 20240416_202341.jpg
    20240416_202341.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240416_202357.jpg
    20240416_202357.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240416_202409.jpg
    20240416_202409.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240416_202417.jpg
    20240416_202417.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240416_202409~2.jpg
    20240416_202409~2.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 13
Man, I don't know what to tell you. Possible cancer? Could be a systemic infection. Have you tried giving him antibiotics? If so what kind and what dosage?

@azygous or @Eggcessive any thoughts?
Lol. I've been scratching my head at this one too. He was on Tylan 200 for a full course of i.m. injections about 1 month ago. I used that because bumble is a Staph infection and Tylosin treats gram positive bacteria. It seemed less swollen/twisted while on it, but I don't know if that was my imagination because it's gotten worse since that. Thanks for reading. I know it was a bit wordy, but it's a strange scenario.

I think I would go back to soaking his legs in warm Epsom salts, or with a disinfectant, such a Betadine or Hibiclens/chlorhexidene daily. Then apply Neosporin to the scabs. I would also treat the scaly leg mites with vaseline or other thick oil daily then twice a week, until new scales start growing in. Antibiotics may help, but those are best obtained from a vet. I would look into getting clindamycin which could help with a bone infection.

I think I would go back to soaking his legs in warm Epsom salts, or with a disinfectant, such a Betadine or Hibiclens/chlorhexidene daily. Then apply Neosporin to the scabs. I would also treat the scaly leg mites with vaseline or other thick oil daily then twice a week, until new scales start growing in. Antibiotics may help, but those are best obtained from a vet. I would look into getting clindamycin which could help with a bone infection.
Thanks. I've been using Neosporin on the scab. I'll go back to giving the Epson salt baths. When I did the ivermectin, I also did the Vaseline on the legs for a few days, so I assumed the mites were dead. Does the Vaseline help in shedding the scales? I always read that sometimes the new scales wouldn't grow back until his next molt. Is that wrong?

I'll look into the Clindamycin. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom