My roosters toe is turning upside down

A clue I forgot to mention. The middle toe will not bend at the joint. It's sticks out straight as a board.
hmmm.... I'm no chicken expert, but it sounds like some kind of infection.
Really, it reminds me of what happened to one of my uncles. He was working in a factory, and a kitten ran inside some of the machinery. My uncle turned off the machine and rescued the kitten, but the kitten bit him. he got a bad infection, and to this day, he can't move his finger from the joint where the kitten bit him.

I hadn’t thought of gout either, but I was distracted by the injury, but there is kind of lumpy appearance to the feet and toes that articular gout has. 20% all flock feed is really not that hard on the kidneys. What reading I have done on gout is that some possible causes are feeding layer feed with extra calcium, feeding 30% protein, too much salt, exposure to aflatoxins, and others. Some people use tart cherry extract to treat human gout, and although it is mentioned for chickens as well, I am not sure that it does anything. A friend here on the forum treated his rooster last year with it, but it did nothing for his rooster’s gout.

I hadn’t thought of gout either, but I was distracted by the injury, but there is kind of lumpy appearance to the feet and toes that articular gout has. 20% all flock feed is really not that hard on the kidneys. What reading I have done on gout is that some possible causes are feeding layer feed with extra calcium, feeding 30% protein, too much salt, exposure to aflatoxins, and others. Some people use tart cherry extract to treat human gout, and although it is mentioned for chickens as well, I am not sure that it does anything. A friend here on the forum treated his rooster last year with it, but it did nothing for his rooster’s gout.
I'm not one of the "apple cider vinegar cures everything" kind of people, but I did read that the acid in the vinegar can help acidify the urates and help break down the crystals that are formed with gout. It's worth a shot to mix it with the water for a few days. Worst case, it does nothing.

I'm not one of the "apple cider vinegar cures everything" kind of people, but I did read that the acid in the vinegar can help acidify the urates and help break down the crystals that are formed with gout. It's worth a shot to mix it with the water for a few days. Worst case, it does nothing.
You'd probably need to treat for a month or more, maybe months, IMO if you try the apple cider vinegar, and you'd need to keep him on it long term so the gout crystals wouldn't grow again, I wouldn't stop too soon.

Also, for treatment of scaly leg mites, consider using Nu-Stock, which is a sulfur ointment. I tried soap and water and then vaseline for a month, and Nu-Stock is what finally fixed the issue. Also treat the roosts with a layer of Nu-Stock. Use a latex glove to apply and keep it cool so it doesn't melt. Good luck!

You'd probably need to treat for a month or more, maybe months, IMO if you try the apple cider vinegar, and you'd need to keep him on it long term so the gout crystals wouldn't grow again, I wouldn't stop too soon.

Also, for treatment of scaly leg mites, consider using Nu-Stock, which is a sulfur ointment. I tried soap and water and then vaseline for a month, and Nu-Stock is what finally fixed the issue. Also treat the roosts with a layer of Nu-Stock. Use a latex glove to apply and keep it cool so it doesn't melt. Good luck!
Thanks. I just ordered some NU stock. Since I can't figure out what it is, I'm throwing the kitchen sink in too.

Back
Top Bottom