My 'Ruby' not doing well (not suffering anymore)

Oh dear! Poor Ruby! I have no advice but send goodwill and all the best in her getting better!
hugs.gif

I read somewhere on here about someone elses chicken who was sick and wouldn't drink. What she did was soak bread with the vitamin water and the chicken would eat it. that way she still got a bit of the vitamins from it. Don't know if ruby would eat it as it seems shes not to interested in eating. But might be worth a try. I'm rooting for her to pull through!
That's a good idea since it's kind of hard to get water in a chicken and thats where her vitamins are, ugh. I'm afraid she's going to jerk so hard she breaks her neck. So today she's worse. Not really walking well, seems to be hard for her. I took a fecal sample and had it checked & she's clear of worms so I'm glad I didn't worm her. Currently I'm keeping her in my bathroom where it's quiet and dark & I'm giving her the apple cider vinegar & hoping that does something. Again no egg today but I'm guessing that's pretty common of a sick chicken. I did however notice something about Ruby that my other hens don't have. The tuffs of hair on her ears have crusty stuff in them. I checked her ears & they are a little waxy, nothing green, just wax. Could this be something?? My other hens that is the same breed are clear.
@indi- thank you, I really appreciate that!

Parkerpeeps7-
How is Ruby doing?
I have a 5 month old Golden Buff exhibiting the same symptoms. I have 6 chickens and have been getting 5 eggs consistently for about a week now, but never 6 eggs. I suspect she has not been laying. Her abdomen feels like the others, but her feathers are poofed up. The others are active and vocal, she is distant and quiet and often sits and closes her eyes. Not sure what to do? Thanks for any help you can give me!!!

Parkerpeeps7-
How is Ruby doing?
I have a 5 month old Golden Buff exhibiting the same symptoms. I have 6 chickens and have been getting 5 eggs consistently for about a week now, but never 6 eggs. I suspect she has not been laying. Her abdomen feels like the others, but her feathers are poofed up. The others are active and vocal, she is distant and quiet and often sits and closes her eyes. Not sure what to do? Thanks for any help you can give me!!!
I'm sorry to hear that. I'm not sure that I could be any help only b/c I still have no idea what is going on with mine. Have you noticed her trying to lay or getting in the nest boxes like she wants to lay but then getting down & there not being an egg?

Well I just checked her crop & it seems the food that was in there hours ago is still in there. It's not much at all, like half the size of an egg & flat-ish. I guess it's possible she ate something while in her quiet space but I'm thinking it's not. Oh my gosh, I'm just shooting stars here!!!

I know I sound insensitive but you need to get her to a vet to diagnose what is going on. If a vet visit is out of the question it is in her best interest to be put down. It sounds like she has egg peritonitis or is an internal layer or her crop is impacted. The poor girl is probably dehydrated and if she has an impacted crop she is starving to death.

I am blunt but sometimes certain things need to be said. Most of us have gone through something like this. It's not pleasant but it's the reality of owning chickens or any pet.

Thanks for the reply and concern. I brought her into the house around 6pm and soaked her in warm water for 30 min. She doesn't look good. She is resting in my original brooder with a lamp on her and wrapped in a towel. Not much I can do. In the "Raising Chickens for Dummies" book, the symptoms sound like egg binding, which often leads to death. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the support.

Thanks for the reply and concern. I brought her into the house around 6pm and soaked her in warm water for 30 min. She doesn't look good. She is resting in my original brooder with a lamp on her and wrapped in a towel. Not much I can do. In the "Raising Chickens for Dummies" book, the symptoms sound like egg binding, which often leads to death. I'll keep you posted. Thanks again for the support.

I have the same book and refer to that a lot. If it's egg binding you should be able to feel the egg. Can you feel anything?

Back
Top Bottom