My russians are here!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by flowerchild59, Feb 9, 2015.

1. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Songster

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I have always wanted to get some Russian orloffs and was able to pick up three on an auction. They are friendly and inquisitive and I really, really like them. I am still keeping a mixed layer flock (without a rooster) for a pretty egg basket that will have cream legbars, one or two leghorns and EE's and a few marans and mixes. (about 8 in all). I want to breed the RO's and have chicks coming from a good source.
    I hate to say that the heritage RIR's that I had did nothing for me. I thought they were a bit boring.
    I have always wanted something with a beard and mottling/spangling so I am happy with these. I think I found what is going to interest me. And the orloff club is very nice on line and helpful too.

[​IMG]

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Crowing

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I have a couple of hatchery quality Russian Orloffs hens in my mixed flock. They are a fun breed. I think it is also interesting that they sound different than my other breeds.

Here is Natasha when she was about 4 months old.

[​IMG]

And Natasha at 2 years old.
    [​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Free Ranging

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Beautiful. It's a breed that has appealed to me as well.

4. Feathyr

Feathyr Songster

Aug 21, 2014
    Idaho
    What lovely birds! I'd like to own them myself, but I have my hands full with other breeds at the moment.

...I wonder, are their eggs like nesting dolls? Open one, find another, and so on? [​IMG]

5. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Wow, very pretty! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: