My Science Teacher said something I do not particularly agree with....

Dinos_rock

Songster
12 Years
Jul 1, 2007
Arizona
The other day in Lab Biology (Science) we were doing an experiment where we put a shell-less egg in some form of liquid. (If you put an egg in vinegar, the shell comes off leaving the membrane as the only thing protecting the insides). The point of the experiment was to learn about osmosis. Anyways, my teacher said that the reason chicks are yellow, is because the yolk is yellow. And that if scientist injects dye with a needle into the yolk, the chicks hatch out different colors.
hmm.png
I didn't agree with this, if it were true then there would be eggs with black, red, gray, etc. yolks. Many other kids didn't believe him either and they said "really?" He (my teacher) said ,"Why would I tell you something if it wasn't true?". This can't be true, is it?
hu.gif
Because natural egg yolks (not from a supermarket) are orange.

Nothing could be farther from the truth. The chicks colors are soley determined by ther DNA same as our complexion and the color of our hair. What a moron. Your parents should be calling the principle and complaining.

When he said that I was like, "What?!?! How can that be true?" I told my mom the story when I came home from school. I think it is somehow ironic how he got a teaching degree....

That is incorrect!
If I were you, I'd prove him wrong!! I would gather information proving he is wrong and (without being snotty) present it to him. If he's any sort of good teacher, he will appreciate a student going out of their way to learn and teach him and the other students.
That will also show that you are free thinking and don't just take any ol' answer!

One of my favorite sayings:

Those who can, can.
Those who can't, teach.

Just another example of how true this is.

There are a lot of good teachers out there. I know a lot of them.
Unfortunately, like most professions, the majority are hacks.

Your gonna hear a lot of things in your life from teachers that you are
going to question, especially when you hit college. Smile and move on.
Sometimes we can learn more from idiots than from geniuses. Just
ask anyone who has ever learned something from me.

Quote:
Carrie, I have to disagree. Most teachers, especially male science teachers, are so wrapped
up in their egos that even if you nicely prove them wrong they will take it as an
insult or challenge to their superior intellect. The best thing for Dino to do is what he
is doing here. Find out the truth on his own and then move on.

Quote:
Oh ya I would do it too. I delighted in messing with the teachers I didn't like.
The good ones got my respect and attention. The bad ones got my wrath.
I just wouldn't advise others to use this method since in the long run it usually
blows up in your face. Plus, in the real world, bosses are typically worse than
bad teachers.

Found your smilie:
devil-smiley-029.gif

That's exactly how I got my white and blue Silkies I hatched out, I hired a scientist to dye all the yolks.
roll.png

Your teacher is way off. Chicks are different colors the same way we are and every other creature in existent. Different pigments and gene order determine our skin, hair and eye color.
Also chicks don't develop from the yolk, they develop from the egg white. The yolk serves as a placenta. I don't see how dyeing the yolk would have any bearing on what color the chick would be.
When they do inject dye it's in a later stage and not in the yolk.
dyeing chicks
Here's a site that shows you how chicks are dyed.

You could also hatch out some eggs in the classroom or print out Feathersite.com and bring that in.
Make this your science project. If he gives you a bad grade for challenging him, then he is an idiot. Science is all about proving whether theories are right or wrong...and his theory is point blank wrong.
Good Luck!!

Back
Top Bottom