My sick bird is getting worse

Atoll

Hatching
Aug 14, 2018
For a little over 2 weeks now Jasper, one of my rhode island reds, has had symptoms of a digestive problem, so we took her to the vet about a week ago. I was given a general worming agent to treat an unknown type of parasitic worm. It called for a 3 day course, which is now complete. But she continues to worsen, she now does not have the strength to stand or even hold her eyes open. Over the last 4 days shes eaten less than 1 day worth of food. She has also started to have difficulty breathing today, no discharge or coughing/sneezing. Shes fading fast and I don't know if she will last the night. EDIT: She is now breathing rapidly and sometimes wheezing, I fear it could be pneumonia.

Last edited:
How does her poop look? Does she have any bugs around her vent?
Feel her abdomen. Is it soft and squishy or swollen, hard?
What do you feed her.

Also ....
How old is she?
What was the medication the vet gave you?
Check her crop too. If she has not been eating much it should be quite flat. If it is full she may be impacted.
When was the last time she laid an egg?

Sorry I was caught up in the urgency of the moment and forgot to welcome you to BYC and say how sorry I am that it is in such dire circumstances. Hopefully you will stick around after this situation has resolved and become part of our not so little, (edited to add) .... but wonderful... community.

Last edited:
How does her poop look? Does she have any bugs around her vent?
Feel her abdomen. Is it soft and squishy or swollen, hard?
What do you feed her.
its very soft and white/green. no bugs around vent. abdomen is a little squishy but mostly firm.

Can you compare how her abdomen feels to other hens. I cup my hand and feel between their legs and below their vent. Making az direct comparison from one bird to another helps to identify if something is unusual. Those feathers can hide an awful lot of variation.

Also ....
How old is she?
What was the medication the vet gave you?
Check her crop too. If she has not been eating much it should be quite flat. If it is full she may be impacted.
When was the last time she laid an egg?
shes about 18 months, maybe a bit more. Medication is "Panacur small animal/cc" and the crop is pretty flat.

Sadly, I think this is not going to end well with her suffering respiratory distress.
You could try some tylan50 for that if you can get some from a farm store. You would need some smally syringes to draw the correct amount out of the bottle but you can give it orally.
You say she had symptoms of digestive problems when you took her to the vet.... What were they?
Can you clarify how her abdomen feels compared to other chickens. Has she has problems with a soiled vent?

The white in her poop is urates which are a bit like our urine but come out as white chalky solids. The green suggests that her digestive tract is shutting down.... the colour is usually caused by bile.

Back
Top Bottom