My Sick Hens Are Dying!!!!! HELP

lucahickton

Hatching
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
I have a dozen backyard hens. About three weeks ago, one of my hens comb and legs starting turning very pale. A few days later, her feathers started looking dull and ruffled. After about a week, her legs were very pale/white (from their usual yellow/light orange). She kept eating and drinking, but I'm not sure if she continued to lay. She started having diarrhea, but continued to eat. About a week ago, she died. Now, a few other hens are exhibiting the same symptoms and I have no clue what they could have. Does anyone have any ideas about what it could be or does anyone have any experience with their hens having this condition????? Please....any help would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks

I can't tell you what is happening, but the questions I might have are whether or not they were wormed and checked for mites?

Edited to say:
welcome-byc.gif
I'm glad you joined us and I hope you find some helpful information here.

Last edited:
If they are getting pale, they may have mites. Look under their feathers very carefully for tiny white or red bugs. Also check their poop for stringy white worms. Are they loosing weight?

Possibly a mite or lice infestation? Those critters feed on your chickens, and that definitely can affect their health, even kill them eventually.

They have not been wormed and I haven't noticed any mites or lice.....I'll check for mites/lice. Where can you buy wormer for chickens??? And no....they haven't lost any weight.....

Last edited:
So sorry about your hens. Many people get their wormer at the farm store. The wormers will be in the section for larger farm animals and then you will dose by weight. Ivermectin drop on for cattle is often used. It will treat worms and lice/mites. It takes a very small dose. Do a search on the site for exact dosage. If you use it you will have to wait a couple of weeks before eating their eggs again.

Check their vent areas and under their wings as well. I understand that mite infestations can be seen more easily after dark when they are active. You can take a flashlight out to your coop. I haven't had experience with this (knock on wood).

Back
Top Bottom