My silkie adopted two chicks

beameuplord

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 8, 2007
My little black silkie has been sitting for six weeks today. I let her set so long until I could decide what to do. My friend and I decided to go ahead and order some live chicks. Couldn't locate any fertile eggs or peeps locally. I ordered four golden Lace Cochins, because silkies were'nt available until June. I couldn't wait any longer. lol

I was afraid she might reject them, but I slipped a couple of them under her wing this evening about dusk and after about 15 minutes she raised up and seemed to be arranging them to be more comfortable underneath her. I so hope she does well with them in the AM. If so I will introduce the other two to her and remove those stale eggs.

Those little chicks are just precious. they are sooooo tiny. I can't wait to see what they look like. I'm a bunny collector, now it looks like I may become a chick collector too. My husband will die.

Later, TJ

Be warned, chickens are addictive! I started as a "babysitter" for my father's flock when he'd go out of town, and finally couldn't stand it anymore and got some of my own. They just arrived yesterday--eleven Araucanas--and all I can think of is more more more.

Here's hoping your Silkie mama does well with those babies! My dad's Silkies are great mamas. Keeping my fingers crossed for you here!

Hope things are going well this morning. I bet the are. My hen sat for 4 weeks and I slipped 3 week old chicks under her one evening and by morning they were one happy family. Good luck to you and your new little family.

That did'nt sound quite right. That was three, one week old chicks. Not three week old chicks.lol
smile.png

I checked on my silkie this AM. Mom and babies are doing well, Ithink. I slipped my hand under her and removed the 4 eggs she had. today I will add two more chicks.

I opened the eggs and one of them had almost completely mature chick. Anybody know why a chick dies in the egg like that? One other was fertile but had not formed and the other two were duds.

TJ

Quote:
thats so sweet, where did you order from that you could get just 4, i know mypetchicken can do as low as 3 is that where yours are from

My friend and I ordered a batch from Ideal. She wanted laying hens. My silkie has all four peeps now and is doing well. I read that silkies are very, very broody. boy, is that the truth. All she wants to do is brood those chicks.

TJ

Glad things are going well. Its so fun watching a hen with baby chicks. The way she clucks and talks to them.

Don't know why the eggs did'nt hatch. Mine had one baby pip and them die. And all others were duds too. Someone else can probably help with that.

Be sure to post pics of your babies when you get some.

Cindy

Back
Top Bottom