My Silkies are here!

smilyface510

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 19, 2010
Bay Area
I ordered an assortment of 36 Silkie chicks from Ideal Poultry. It was hatch yesterday and I got them today that was very quick. All are still alive and kicking. I got Buff, Partridge, a Black, Red? and Blue or Grey ones.

I got my silkies today from IDEAL too. I have a question for some of you who also got Silkies from Ideal, do some of your light colored ones have a small dark dot marking on the top of the head, back of their necks?

Of the 11 I got, 4 of the light colored silkies have a dark marking like a pen dot, or marker dot, and I'm very curious what this indication is for.

Sheila

They use dye to mark them sometimes for some reason or another.

I have 1 silkie out of the 4 whos feet are hardly black. Everyone had 10 toes though. Alright now we all need to post pics of our silkies from today's Ideal order so we can keep up with each other's development!

I was wondering about that about the little black mark also. I thought it was because they wanted use to be able to distinguish the Red from the Partridge ones. However I could be wrong on it. I know for sure I have Buffs, a Black, and Partridges. But not sure if I have blue or maybe grey ones along with Red Silkies. I did see one with nine toes, but don't know if I have other ones like that.

I have 2 black ones with only 9 toes. I emailed Ross from Ideal Poultry, asking her about it, and also about the dot markings. I hope she will respond to my email because I think it is important to explain stuff to customers, even though each chick was less than $5. I am a repeat customer and I think it is only fair that the hatchery responds to our queries.

I will take some better pics and post them up soon. We should keep up with the photographic development of our chicks. Will be nice to compare and see.

Sheila

I went back and looked at my chicks in the daylight. I know you can't jump to conclusions when it comes to chicks but I have 1 with a great poof on it's head and decent foot feathering and one that has smallish poof but LOTS of foot feathering. I have 1 out of 4 that only has 8 toes which concerns me a bit.... Some of them have VERY dark skin and some have lighter skin. We'll just have to see how they develop.

I got my white silkie chicks on Thursday also. I didn't count toes as I had class all day today 4 hours away and didn't get a chance to mess much with them yesterday but put them in the brooder to get them warm. They sent me 5 LOVELY red male chicks for warmth, have no idea what they are but all my birds were healthy when I left the house today at noon. I have one chick with one heckuva top knot. If I knew how to post pictures I would do it but I am clueless. I was surprised at how big they are. They all look really healthy so I hope it continues. I only lost two (so far) out of my cackle batch. Both of them had pasted up before I could get to them.

Glad everyone's birds were ok!

Back
Top Bottom