My silly Goose

Ms Ellen

Songster
14 Years
Aug 8, 2008
Virginia
Recently we had a goose catastrophy and a fox got into our coop and took out one of our two young geese. He left everything else except one young roo. So we were left with one goose of unknown gender. Not good. I ordered two more babies and they should be coming this week. In the mean time our remaining goose, Harry, has decided that his or her (called he from here on out) mate is in the van because he sees his reflection in the side of the silver van. Harry hangs out next to the van all the time. We don't use it as much as the other vehicles but when we do he will not let it leave the driveway. He keeps running behind the van to stop it. Someone has to stand out and chase him away. Not safe behaviour. I have hesitated to lock him in the pen since he would then be really all by himself. We have enjoyed having him otherwise. He is very people friendly. Likes to come up on the front porch and hang out with us and generally interact with people. Very social. When the little guys come I think we will have to keep the bunch of them locked up in the pen though. I am worried about someone getting hit by a car. Do you think he will stop this once he has freinds?

Recently we had a goose catastrophy and a fox got into our coop and took out one of our two young geese. He left everything else except one young roo. So we were left with one goose of unknown gender. Not good. I ordered two more babies and they should be coming this week. In the mean time our remaining goose, Harry, has decided that his or her (called he from here on out) mate is in the van because he sees his reflection in the side of the silver van. Harry hangs out next to the van all the time. We don't use it as much as the other vehicles but when we do he will not let it leave the driveway. He keeps running behind the van to stop it. Someone has to stand out and chase him away. Not safe behaviour. I have hesitated to lock him in the pen since he would then be really all by himself. We have enjoyed having him otherwise. He is very people friendly. Likes to come up on the front porch and hang out with us and generally interact with people. Very social. When the little guys come I think we will have to keep the bunch of them locked up in the pen though. I am worried about someone getting hit by a car. Do you think he will stop this once he has freinds?
I think he will because he will be focusing his attention on the new goslings. and I agree unless out to supervise it would probably be a good idea to keep them penned for their own safety. Sorry about your loss and be sure to post pics when your new ones arrive,

Harry is a normal goose....all birds love looking n a mirror. I would put a safe refletive material in a spot he likes and he can look at himself all he wants. You may also want to maybe put some non-reflective tape on your bumper so he won't hang around your car.

I'd also spend a little time with him playing games and doing things he likes to do. The looking at himself phase will pass. The new goslings will help alot.

Back
Top Bottom