My small solution to a muddy run

blurose

Songster
11 Years
May 25, 2008
Winston, Oregon
I use the deep litter method in my henhouse but still have all of the shavings completely changed about every 3 months. When DS does this, he tosses the old shavings out into the run. This makes a nicer surface to walk on than the mud which would otherwise prevail and my girls think they've got buried treasure to find all over the place.

Last edited:
that sounds great- i have been wracking my brain trying to figure what to do with this run.. i will try that since its supposed to be dry for a few weeks

4058932669_b17e7dee8b.jpg

4059675726_d2e8bb0055.jpg

4059678284_0120123bb3.jpg

I did put a raised board to get them above the mud pit- when it rains hard we get the flooding on one side, after A few hours it drains - the bottom picture is the outside of the run

Robin,
ep.gif
I think you've got a much bigger problem than just mud. I think you need to put in some ditches to divert the water from your run first.

Yep, we were sitting out there yesterday discussing options, raising the cement barrier, then building up the channel to divert the water- we don't see heavy rain that often, but when we do it causes our wet weather creek to run- i think drainage pipes are a must... lots of hind sight- we were more concerned about predators, and the coop is on our porch with run below it...so i could keep them locked up if necessary

Back
Top Bottom