My son, 9, wants me to make him a pumpkin costume. I"m done pics

Do you live in a cold climate? Polar fleece is really easy to use but it will be too hot unless it's cool.

I found a dolls pumpkin costume but I thought it looked easy enough to mimic for a child. I think for the green booties you could just make shoe covers?

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&hl=en&rlz=1R2ADRA_enUS349&sa=N&start=80&um=1

Maybe instead of filling it full of peanuts you could make (out of orange polar fleece) several two sided football shaped sections, turn them right side out and lightly stuff with a polyfill and then hand stitch together with a dark yarn to make the pumpkin sections stand out. Cut out the eyes and mouth from black polar fleece and then use fabric glue to attach. Or use a black perm marker...?

I'm not sure if this would work and it would probably require a "prototype". I was just trying to think of something that would look full but would still be squishy enough for your son to swing or play....we don't want anymore Halloween playground horror stories!

My daughter was a pumpkin in third grade also. She had to have a costume that could be worn in class and was easy to maneuver in as well as be cool and comfortable in the classroom.

Here is what I did. Have your son help you decide how big around he wants his pumpkin to be. This helps you know how much fabric you will need.

Once Sarah decided that, I used 2 yards of 100 % cotton with a 42 inch width of pumpkin orange fabric. If I remember correctly, we cut the width down to 30 inches.

I cut a two inch piece off one of the selvage edges to make a casing at the midline of the rectangle. (This will make sense in a few minutes. )

Make a casing at the top and one at the bottom and insert either elastic or a drawstring to gather up the fabric. The neck opening will be smaller than the bottom edge since it will be going around the legs.
Sew the two ends together but leave the casings openings so that the drawstrings work. If you use elastic you can go ahead and seam those edges. The middle one can be sewn closed on the outside, but leave the inside casing open because you will slip a wire inside it to keep the pumpkin shape round and full.
!_____________________________________________
!_______________wire __________________________!
!
!
!_____________________________________________
!_____________________________________________!

I made a slit in the sides for each arm and rolled the edges and slip stitched the opening once we knew where the arms needed to go.

She wore green sweats and a green long sleeve t-shirt.
I made a felt hat like the Jolly Green Giant and felt covers for her shoes like those worn by doctors in surgery.

For the wire, I used two coat hangers that I straightened and then taped together with masking tape. I also padded the ends with a little cotton and tape wrapped that so there was nothing to stick her with. I then bent the wire gently into a circle and threaded it into the center casing.
It worked like a hoop skirt. She could push down on it in the front and it would raise up in back for her to maneuver through doorways or into her desk.
The bottom elastic or drawstring helps with going to the restroom...the elastic is much easier for raising the pumpkin out of the way.

Not only did Sarah use this, but I have to admit I was able to wear it.
I believe I can find a picture of it to post when I get home from Tennessee.

Last edited:
Quote:
I showed my son this one and he said " Thats for a baby" I told him I could make it different I may go to Wal Mart and see if they have any patterns.

Quote:
I like this idea I'm going to Wal mart to check out the patterns and if I can't find one I will use your idea. Now where do I find a wire coat hanger.

My brother and I were pumpkins one year when we were kids!! What my mom did was take a regular big trash bag...pack it around us full of paper and then wrap it in paper mache!!! ...then of course you paint it
smile.png
She just left it open at the bottom so we could lift if off over our heads

Quote:
Thank you I didn't think of them or the hardware section. So many idea's.
wee.gif

Gin...a wire clothes/coat hanger....like Cedar says can be found at the dry cleaners....I guess a lot of people have gone to the plastic clothes hangers nowadays.

Back
Top Bottom