My son fed my horse for me last night. . .

That's what I read. That long-term it could cause thiamine deficiency. So I guess I won't worry. What other kinds of nasty stuff do they put in chick feed?

Well, the purpose of amprolium is to inhibit the reproduction of cocci which can kill chicks if it takes over their system before they build immunity. There is a sulfa drug that some feeds have in it, but I forget it's name. Same purpose though, to prevent cocci so the birds can build up immunities.

I believe the sulfa drug would be Albon? Or am I just up too late and making stuff up...
lol.png
Always a possibility. Sulfadimeth-something-or-another....Albon, yeah, that's it. Anyway, if it was the sulfa drug, I wouldn't think that that would be too big of a deal for a horse. Sulfa drugs are commonly used for infections in horses, so unless the animal was allergic it probably wouldn't be a big deal--though it seems like you've already concluded that your horse is fine!!

Last edited:
my horse also eat chicken feed before and he was fine nothing happen to him just gets a belly ack I was told to loung him and make him run it off to work it right out oof him

Quote:
You know, I used to think horses pooped a lot. Until I got chickens.

Edited to add:
He did get medicated chick food. I called the vet, and he said he couldn't find any info on amprolium and horses. He said to call the feed company. The feed company said I'd have to feed Jay 5#/day for a month before I saw any effects--and even then, the medication wasn't "known" to be toxic to horses. He got a total of one pound.

If you want some really evil poop , drive around ST Pete Florida and wait until a brwon pelican launches a air attack on your car window. The is bird poop and then there is pelican.

That reminds me when my daughter came to visit with me for a week last summer, she asked me if she could feed the horses, I said yes of course, that would be a big help, so later on when I went out to the barn they seemed alittle upset and I didnt know why, so I went over to their stall to see what may be wrong and I saw why they were upset, my daughter had given the horses a bale of straw. I had a real good laugh and told the horses that I was sorry, I got the straw out and gave them some hay then. I still laugh about it when I think of it. Thanks.......ed

Quote:
Kids! My daughter was out in the barn with me over the weekend when I fed the donkeys and she looked at the hay and said "That's ALL they get?"

I was like - how much do YOU feed them???? God only knows!
ep.gif

Back
Top Bottom