My son's free mystery chicken

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PAchickenlover, Aug 11, 2011.

1. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    [​IMG]
    All we were told was that it was a hen, but i'm not certain. I have 3 White plymouth rocks and this one is MUCH more leggier. In short it is a white chicken that has a relatively small body and long legs. Any one have any ideas? Leghorn???

Thanks,
    Mollie

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

They usually don't give away hens as free mystery chix. It's just a nice way of them trying to give away extra roo's and making customers think they are getting a special free gift.

3. BekahBear

BekahBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2010
    Arizona
    my guess is white leghorn roo

4. PAchickenlover

PAchickenlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    York
    Thanks It has yet to cock-a-doodle-do but I'll keep listening. The guy that brought the chicken to the auction said that his kids put the wrong bird in and he didn't want to cart it home. It's pelvic bones are pretty far apart, Is that normal for a leghorn roo? Or is it possible that it could be a hen?

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    How old is this bird? Looks like a white leghorn pullet. The Roos have huge combs that flop over.

6. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sorry I thought this was a free chicken from an order via a hatchery, so please ignore my previous post, and yes it could be a hen, but looks roo-ish to me.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Chicken Boy-17

Chicken Boy-17 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Woodstock, GA
    "thats no roo"
    -Han Solo
    ( lol anyways it looks like a white leghorn hen.)

8. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Depending on the age, could definitely be a leghorn hen. If it's 6 weeks old or something, it's a roo. But Leghorns at POL have gigantic combs - the combs on my year olds are huge and cover their faces! [​IMG]

9. goobhen

goobhen Chicks Rule

Dec 6, 2008
    Indiana
    Do not have a clue about the breed, BUT I say hen all the way! I do not think you have to worry that it will ever start to crow.
    I will eat a "leg" if it does though ( I knew by 4 weeks which of my flock were roos, and unfortunately I was right when I had 11 roos out of 28)

[​IMG]

10. danniboi1990

danniboi1990 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    Coventry
    sorry but i think cockeral!! look at the shiney, glossy feathers on his back [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by