Mystery to me..

Mblackburn3

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2023
Purchased chicks from online TSC. Only needed a small flock and my store never had chicks.
My son talked me into getting the mystery box of rare breeds. Needless to say it was a disappointment. The girls are great but they seem to be all the same breed. I’ve tried to match up pictures from the breeds listed on the site and have gotten no where.
I know I have 1 EE, she has the puffed cheeks and colored legs but the other 7 have me stumped.
Posting a picture of two of the mystery girls..any ideas? Olive eggers?

Thanks,
Margaret

Attachments

• IMG_0181.jpeg
    IMG_0181.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0180.jpeg
    IMG_0180.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
They might all be Easter Eggers of one kind or another.

Purchased chicks from online TSC. Only needed a small flock and my store never had chicks.
My son talked me into getting the mystery box of rare breeds. Needless to say it was a disappointment. The girls are great but they seem to be all the same breed.

I know I have 1 EE, she has the puffed cheeks and colored legs but the other 7 have me stumped.
Posting a picture of two of the mystery girls..any ideas? Olive eggers?

They are probably coming from Hoover Hatchery, which has quite a few kinds of Easter Egger.

I am using "Easter Egger" to mean any chicken that does not belong to a recognized pure breed and that lays, or is supposed to lay, eggs that are blue or green. "Olive" is a shade of green, so Olive Eggers would also be considered Easter Eggers in this case.

Some of yours might be Prairie Bluebell Eggers:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/prairiebluebellegger.html
There is an example photo with 4 colors of hen, but they actually come in many more colors than that.

Hoovers also sells Easter Eggers, and "Americana" (more Easter Eggers, not really purebred Ameraucana), and "Starlight Green Eggers" and "Olive Eggers." Every one of those can have a variety of feather colors and other traits.

They might all be Easter Eggers of one kind or another.

They are probably coming from Hoover Hatchery, which has quite a few kinds of Easter Egger.

I am using "Easter Egger" to mean any chicken that does not belong to a recognized pure breed and that lays, or is supposed to lay, eggs that are blue or green. "Olive" is a shade of green, so Olive Eggers would also be considered Easter Eggers in this case.

Some of yours might be Prairie Bluebell Eggers:
https://www.hoovershatchery.com/prairiebluebellegger.html
There is an example photo with 4 colors of hen, but they actually come in many more colors than that.

Hoovers also sells Easter Eggers, and "Americana" (more Easter Eggers, not really purebred Ameraucana), and "Starlight Green Eggers" and "Olive Eggers." Every one of those can have a variety of feather colors and other traits.
I was thinking Prairie Bluebells also. Thank you!

It's not a breed. EE are cross breeds or decendant of cross breeds. The only real requirement of this catch all category of bird is that it had a blue egg laying ancestor. Unfortunately that means that all EE do not lay bluish or greenish eggs. And of course there is no reliable guess as to what they will look like.

Back
Top Bottom