My Speckled Sussex is now exactly 1 year old - and she has NEVER laid an egg.

Westmarch

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
So... I know hens take different lengths of time to come into lay, and I know the heavy breeds like Jersey Giants and so forth can take longer. But has anybody ever had a hen of this age - a year or more - who appeared perfectly healthy but had NEVER laid an egg?

She appears mature - her comb is pretty small, but that's kind of typical of the breed. She squats, but not as profoundly as my other hens. She lives in a mixed flock with no other Sussexes, but all of the other chickens are her age and ALL of them are laying.

I'm certain she isn't eating her eggs or hiding them. She's just never laid one. Ever had this happen to you? Do you think she will ever lay?

I had a silkie once that was like 11 months old when she finally started laying. She was a little slow at everything tho. Are you sure that she has never laid? It is possible but not very common. Usually when they squat it isn't long before they start laying. Maybe she is a late bloomer.

Yeah, I thought she was a late bloomer, but she has been halfheartedly squatting for months and months. And yeah, I'm sure she isn't laying. She is closely supervised and her vent is dry and tight.

She is a good chicken, really nice personality and not too overweight. Maybe she's just a genetic anomaly.

Back
Top Bottom