1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My SPOILED BRATS went on a HUNGER STRIKE!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by msgenie516, Feb 26, 2009.

1. msgenie516

msgenie516 The Happy Hen

May 16, 2008
    Nesconset, LI, NY
    Hi,

Six of my “darling little girls” that I keep together went on a hunger strike! [​IMG]

They have just reached laying age and I have adjusted their food accordingly. However, I was running a little short of chick grower (crumbles) a couple of weeks before I planned on switching them to layer pellets. I knew I would never use up another 50 pound bag so I started mixing the grower with the layer so they could become adjusted to it.

All was fine until I went to straight layer pellets a few days ago (a couple of them have begun laying already so I think it is okay). Well, no one wanted to eat anymore! I decided I better go and get layer crumbles but I was unable to get to the feed store immediately so I gave them some additional cracked corn and scratch grains and some greens out of the refrigerator just so they would have SOMETHING to eat (they never refuse treat food).

I was concerned that they were mainly eating “junk food” and luckily, DH went to the feed store today to get the crumbles. Well, they dove in like they hadn’t seen any food in days. Meanwhile, their feeder had been full of layer pellets that went nearly untouched! [​IMG]

I think I raised a bunch of SPOILED BRATS! Genie

2. TatersChickens

TatersChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Newton Alabama
    I think that we all spoil them in one way or the other.It`s soooo hard not to.

3. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    Mine don't like pellets nearly as well as crumbles either. They'll eat them, but not nearly as much nor as enthusiastically. Actually, just yesterday I bought a bag of crumbles, which I'm going to switch back to after I use up the pellets I have.

4. rebbetzin

rebbetzin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Tucson AZ
    My hens almost refuse layer pellets too. I add the grow crumbles, and when the pellets are gone I will get the layer crumbles. I thought it would be less wasteful to get the pellets, but, if they only throw them out of the feeder and walk on them... that is more wasteful in my opinion. They seem to just HATE the pellets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by