My Spring 2013 Meat Bird Journal

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Anna-MN, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Anna-MN

Anna-MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Last year I did two batches of meat birds and didn't keep very good track of their progress. It was my first year and I kind of had a rough estimate on how much it cost me in feed and birds but I didn't add in the cost for bedding, foodsaver bags, and so on. So I am starting this thread to help me keep track of everything that goes into this year's project and hopefully post a few pictures of the bird's progress.

1/14/13- I ordered 60 Cornish X pullets from Schlect Hatchery to arrive the week of February 18th. My total for the birds and shipping came to $73.00 even. I didn't think that was so bad, pullets are only 95cents a piece and their customer service was great. I have high hopes for these birds. Here is a link to their website: http://www.schlechthatchery.com/

2. Kildare49

Kildare49 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Wow, their price for cockerels is much lower than were I purchase ( $2.00 ).

I have had no health issues with the cx & most were good at foraging .

How has this hatchery been for their cx?

3. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I have never ordered from them before. I have gotten Cornish X from McMurray and Welp. I liked McMurray's better because I got more of the same weight. Welp's weights were all over the place and it was frustrating come butchering time because some were over due and some were underdue. I like raising the CX but I hope to raise some red rangers at some point for comparison.

4. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    Oh weird- for some reason when I respond to threads on my phone it logs me into my old account. Sorry for the confusion!

5. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    1/27/13- Moved the brooders home from my grandparent's barn. Washed them out, replaced the plastic and purchased two bales of wood shavings which cost me $10. Now on to digging through all my chicken stuff to find enough waterers for the thirsty devils and hanging heat lamps...and I need the find the smaller feeders. Amazing how many things I can misplace in under a year.

6. Kildare49

Jun 29, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    Have you done a batch this early before? Assume with the name your from MN?

I only ask because I'm in Wisconsin, but plan to wait until April. Not sure if they will burn through more carbs. to keep warm during winter months.
    I could certainly keep coop warm enough for brooder. I'm just used to letting them forage beginning @ 3 weeks.

7. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    I started a batch at the exact same time last year and it went smoothly. I will never start a batch in April ever again because it gets too hot and birds like the Cornish X can't handle the heat AT ALL. And not to mention 50 birds went through 8 gallons of water a day in June. No matter what the temp is they will eat a boat load of food- they are just bred that way.

8. Sandyd

Sandyd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Anna, It helps with water consumption if you soak their feed overnight with a splash of organic apple cider vinegar. They don't eat as much and their water consumption goes way down, weight gain is great. I offer dry feed full time but they go nuts on the soaked feed morning and night. I did 2 batches last summer. One started in May and the other started mid August. I did have to have a fan run on them during the day when it got horribly warm and I also put a large shallow flat container that I filled with water and they got in to cool off if they needed to.

9. Anna-MN

Sep 19, 2012
    Would that be considered fermented feed?

10. Kildare49

Jun 29, 2012
    Central Wisconsin
    That would be fermented feed. I use fermented feed. Zero problems with heat issues. The 2 positives I have noticed....1) Water consumption drops considerably. 2.) Great reduction in smell & need to change bedding.

I believe they use less feed, but I will track with the batches I do this year, Have not had heat issues, but coop is well ventilated ( though they wont go in until I put them in for the evening, and they have a lot of shade ( basically get direct sunlight in morning only ).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by