My starter flock..... what are breed and sex?

bmdakk

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
Never had chickens before. would like to know what breed these are and if possible what sex? These were raised in My daughters high school from eggs and we got to bring 4 home. Thanks.

welcome-byc.gif

How old are your birds?

They all appear to be mutts, which is what I'd expect from a school hatch project.

I'd guess around 10 weeks?

#1 Male
#2 female to the right
#3 both females
#4Male in front, female in behind
#5 Female

Looks like you have 4 birds. 3 Females, 1 male.

They all appear to be mutts, which is what I'd expect from a school hatch project.

I'd guess around 10 weeks?

#1 Male
#2 female to the right
#3 both females
#4Male in front, female in behind
#5 Female

Looks like you have 4 birds. 3 Females, 1 male.
X2!!

Yes 4 is the total Thanks alot on the sex Id was hoping I didnt have all roos. we guessed they were about 7 weeks old. Not sure of the hatch date, but my daughter got to bring them home April 11 and they were 2-3 weeks old then.. Forgive My ignorance on the subject but since they are mutts, as you call them, they will still lay eggs correct?

Yes 4 is the total Thanks alot on the sex Id was hoping I didnt have all roos. we guessed they were about 7 weeks old. Not sure of the hatch date, but my daughter got to bring them home April 11 and they were 2-3 weeks old then.. Forgive My ignorance on the subject but since they are mutts, as you call them, they will still lay eggs correct?
Oh yes :) Mutts lay wonderful eggs!

Mutts is just another word for mixed breed - so, yes, they will still lay.

I have read that they dont lay eggs till 18-22 weeks old would it be ok if I got a couple more adult hens to put in with these? My coop ot 4' wide x 8' long and 4' high with 4 nesting boxes

I have read that they dont lay eggs till 18-22 weeks old would it be ok if I got a couple more adult hens to put in with these? My coop ot 4' wide x 8' long and 4' high with 4 nesting boxes
No, you shouldn't add any older chickens. They will be hard to integrate with your young ones. They will pick on them. Also, you don't have enough room for more in that small of an area. Will they be able to free range at times?

Back
Top Bottom