My Stupid, Stupid Family = 29 Dead Chicks

Rachel96

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2012
South Australia
I went out this morning. I was out about 3 hours, and my stupid father thought it would be a BRILLIANT idea to move TWO WHOLE BROODERS of chicks outside INTO DIRECT SUNLIGHT and WITHOUT WATER. And it's about 30* Celsius today - in the shade! I don't like to think how hot it is in direct sunlight.

I got home to find the two brooders full of inert, unmoving chicks, lying down with their mouths open. There were 60 chicks there - and now 29 are dead and 4 are in 'intensive care'.

"I'm sorry," he says, "I thought it would be all right. I've seen them outside before."

Yes, dear father, yes you have - on cool days (below 25 degrees), with water and shade. What possessed you to put them in the sun, on concrete, with no water or shade?

"Oh... I didn't really think. I'm sorry."

Yes, well, 'sorry' doesn't quite cut it, not when TWENTY-NINE chicks are dead, FOUR are almost dead, and FIVE of the dead ones were special ones - the rest were just general mixed-breed layer-type hens - these others were frizzled and silkied.

You know, if it were my younger sister, who knows zip about caring for anything, maybe I could understand this.

But it's my father, who claims to have been raising poultry since he was a child. Who once said to my mother (a few weeks ago), "I think Rachel almost knows as much about chickens as I do."

Well... yeah, right. Think again. Who has lost all 24 of his flock to foxes this year? Who just MURDERED 29 innocent chicks?

I suppose I shouldn't be mad at him. After all -- he's English. He probably doesn't realise that THE SUN IS NOT YOUR FRIEND! Actually, I knew that - he goes out shirtless to work in the yard in summer and sunbathes without sunscreen and get a horrible burn because, apparently, having a tan or sunburn is some sort of weird 'status symbol'. Well, maybe in England, but over here it's a symbol that you were too stupid to slip, slop, slap.

And I shouldn't have gone out - I should have stayed and kept an eye on the chicks, made sure they had water and shade. I should have taken better care of them - I mean, to all intents and purposes I'm their mother - they're mine. I'm obviously not a very good mother if I let them die.

Sorry to hear about the chickens
hit.gif

Sorry for your loss.We all make mistakes,and sadly it sometimes results in the death of living things.Best to make this a teaching moment for family minus any attitude(which I know is hard).The important thing is for all to learn from this so it does not happen again.

Rachel, so sorry about your babies. You can pick your friends, but you can't pick your family.
wink.png
I am sure your father feels badly about this. Better for you to come here to rant, than to blow up on your dad.

Back
Top Bottom