My suggestion for a Super Cheap Coop!--- Whats yours?

If they are in your garage and your garage is presumably in Kentucky <g> I cannot see any likely reason you would NEED heatlamps, or even just "regular wattage lightbulb for warmth" lamps. So that is probably a non-issue.

Cardboard is still a lousy idea.

However you can often get pallets for free. Hunt around for some that are a) non-treated, b) all the same and c) have very closely spaced slats (you know what I mean?). Screw or wire them together. Add a top of some sort, maybe even another pallet or two. Voila, a reasonable chicken cage for using IN THE GARAGE if your garage is raccoon-proof.

Or, scrounge around asking at construction sites for scrap plywood and scrap 2x4s. YOu can make something actually genuinely reasonably predatorproof with that, plus the addition of some hardwarecloth (or other cleverly scrounged similar materials) to cover vents.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Please know you don't have to have one of those beautiful coops you see on here. They are WONDERFUL but my husband isn't allowed to use my power tools, lol, and I have built everything buy myself, and trust me they aren't pretty.

Paint helps wonders. You can get mis-tints for $5-$10 at lowes and home depot

You can get packing crates and pallets that you can take apart and reuse the wood. Just go up and ask different companies.

You can always fix them up prettier later with fancy trim, lattice, flowers and signs, now is about Safe and Secure!!

Keep the suggestions coming please!
lol.png
I am seriously writing down these awesome idea you are giving me!

If they are going to be in your garage, build a coop out of a baby crib. The slats are about 2" apart just about right for the birds to reach through to eat and drink. Put a piece of plastic eaves trough (one on each side) put water in one and feed in the other. To free range build a draw bridge. most Cribbs are on wheel so roll it outside for the day time, and after the birds come into it at dark to roost, close the door and roll it back inside. I have never tried it, but I think it would work, and if you could find a crib that no longer meets the current standards that someone was trashing all you need is a floor to replace the mattress.

We picked up some pallets FREE from a local nursery - had a bunch stacked outside - happy to give them to us. I picked up a kitchen cabinet on the side of the road with a FREE sign - used it for a nest box. If you have a local Habitat for Humanity - they often have lots of things that can be repurposed into coop things for a little money (they have cabinets for $10-15). Try used furniture stores or the donation stores like Salvation Army (we have one called Savers). Oh yeah, garage sales! I found some rectangular planters for $1 each - bought 3 & she went down to $2 for all 3 - I use them for water and feed.

be creative...think outside the box (but don't use the cardboard one! lol)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom