My Sweet Goose Turned into a Psycho

Popcorn Mcgee

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Hello. After losing too many chickens to hawks we decided on getting a "guard goose". We purchased an American buff last spring and hand raised him. Goostav grew to be a beautiful, sweet, kind and affectionate young goose. He bonded to our flock of chickens and ducks very well and spent much of his day with them. In the mornings he would beg to be let out by my son and I, and we would walk him to our pond, sit and pet him. He'd take a dip in the pond and sunbathe on the bank next to me in my chair while having my coffee. I love this goose. Then winter came to ohio and it wasn't possible for us to sit out there with him like we spent many days doing in the summer. He went rogue. He began to hiss at us and even attacking my son on occasion. We then had to remove his baby pool because he began drowning our ducks in it, (we lost three in the pool of death). He's also been beating up our one rooster and ripping all the feathers out of his back. They now are separated. He is very nurturing to any young birds, and even protects them from the older birds. I know this is mating season, so my question is will he go back to being our kind hearted Goostav after mating season, or is this who he'll be forever? Will it help to get a couple of female geese or will he become more aggressive? This breaks my heart. He was such a great companion and bright spot in our family's day during covid lock down. Is there a way for me to get him back to who he use to be? I've enclosed a few pictures of him in happier days.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-103745_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-103745_Gallery.jpg
    538.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Screenshot_20210426-103729_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-103729_Gallery.jpg
    455.2 KB · Views: 42
  • Screenshot_20210426-103712_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-103712_Gallery.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 36
Hello. After losing too many chickens to hawks we decided on getting a "guard goose". We purchased an American buff last spring and hand raised him. Goostav grew to be a beautiful, sweet, kind and affectionate young goose. He bonded to our flock of chickens and ducks very well and spent much of his day with them. In the mornings he would beg to be let out by my son and I, and we would walk him to our pond, sit and pet him. He'd take a dip in the pond and sunbathe on the bank next to me in my chair while having my coffee. I love this goose. Then winter came to ohio and it wasn't possible for us to sit out there with him like we spent many days doing in the summer. He went rogue. He began to hiss at us and even attacking my son on occasion. We then had to remove his baby pool because he began drowning our ducks in it, (we lost three in the pool of death). He's also been beating up our one rooster and ripping all the feathers out of his back. They now are separated. He is very nurturing to any young birds, and even protects them from the older birds. I know this is mating season, so my question is will he go back to being our kind hearted Goostav after mating season, or is this who he'll be forever? Will it help to get a couple of female geese or will he become more aggressive? This breaks my heart. He was such a great companion and bright spot in our family's day during covid lock down. Is there a way for me to get him back to who he use to be? I've enclosed a few pictures of him in happier days.
He will mellow out after breeding horomones disipate but he is an adult so his sense of responsibility won’t go away, which means seeing off “threats.” He may not always like the rooster but his aggression could settle somewhat.
One thing you should do is socialize with him as much as possible, you and your son have to reestablish your bond, spend time around him, bring him treats, if he tries to attack say “NO” and pick him up if he doesn’t back off.
Grab him by the head, scoop one arm around his torso to pin his wings and scoop him up, carry him around for a minute or two, then set him down and offer a treat. You’re establishing dominance but also letting him know you mean no harm and can still be on friendly terms.

Update : Our goose is slowly returning to his old self... Finally! Through extra interaction and bribery with treats. He even walked with me to our pond and hung out with me for an hour there, which is about 600 feet from his own and the other birds. I even got some neck scratches in that he enjoyed like he use to.

Update : Our goose is slowly returning to his old self... Finally! Through extra interaction and bribery with treats. He even walked with me to our pond and hung out with me for an hour there, which is about 600 feet from his own and the other birds. I even got some neck scratches in that he enjoyed like he use to.
Glad to hear he’s being nicer!

Back
Top Bottom