My The Porch Chicken Coop 10 Hens In Dekalb County

Here is an update on my THE PORCH CHICKEN COOP........

started my nesting boxes yesterday and my new chicken XL Cornish Hen peeking out from underneath lol..

Three boxes

different view

yup lid on boxes separate

big silkie checking out the box lol

oh my other chicken Jersey Black lol checking out the boxes

all my roos just cooling out taking it easy but for the life of me i can't figure out why no eggs yet

look a functioning window ... yes!! the second one i will install tomorrow maybe, I starting working on trim this evening..

update tomorrow see you then .......

Last edited:
pretty interesting i must say only because i was feed up and addressed the Board. Had people applauding my statement, so much channel 11 and fox 5 tried to interview me I did not mind but i did not want them at my house taking pictures. Worse telling where i lived so the code officers could get me forget i don't want the attention right now.

Your current "chickens" are going to be mighty bummed when that coop gets turned over to the new girls, LOL!

Fantastic use of wasted space by the way. Looking forward to seeing this progress.

Good luck with your project and hopefully, the Boards response goes your way. As a fellow Georgian (I'm going to assume you are in Georgia) we went through a bit of being checked out by License and Inspection also; however, in my county one can have chickens as long as they are not "running loose".

I allowed License and Inspection, Animal Control AND the Health Department in my back yard to check out our coops and runs so they could make certain all chickens were well cared for, had plenty of space, adequate food, water, shelter, etc. but told them I would allow this checking out ONE TIME ONLY so they'd better come as a group.

That was three years ago and I've never heard a peep from any of these departments since.

Once suggestion from your pictures. You might consider reducing the number of your hens a bit. Right now we have seven "big girls" in one of our coops and they take up a good size run for exercise during the day.

Here is an update on my THE PORCH CHICKEN COOP........

started my nesting boxes yesterday and my new chicken XL Cornish Hen peeking out from underneath lol..

Three boxes

different view

yup lid on boxes separate

big silkie checking out the box lol

oh my other chicken Jersey Black lol checking out the boxes

all my roos just cooling out taking it easy but for the life of me i can't figure out why no eggs yet

look a functioning window ... yes!! the second one i will install tomorrow maybe, I starting working on trim this evening..

update tomorrow see you then .......
Nice work! Dogs are so helpful aren't they? I have one dog that puts his ball in every hole, bucket or wheel barrow I am working with knowing I have to take it out. They are almost as helpful as actual chickens. I hope the decision goes your way.

Also, when it comes to chicken space I think it depends on how much time they will be spending in their coop. We have winter so I need more space because they spend a lot of time inside when there is snow on the ground. If you have mild conditions they will mostly just use their coop for roosting and egg laying and will otherwise be outside, you can skimp on space in a situation like that and still have happy, healthy chickens imo.

Hey Buffy here in Atlanta surroundings we have mild winter for the most part once in a while we get that odd snow storm or ice storm that last all of 5 days if.... their run consist of 50' square -/+ of my back yard with avian netting over head.

pretty interesting i must say only because i was feed up and addressed the Board. Had people applauding my statement, so much channel 11 and fox 5 tried to interview me I did not mind but i did not want them at my house taking pictures. Worse telling where i lived so the code officers could get me forget i don't want the attention right now.
Did they make a decision...or was it just hearing?

Hey Buffy here in Atlanta surroundings we have mild winter for the most part once in a while we get that odd snow storm or ice storm that last all of 5 days if.... their run consist of 50' square -/+ of my back yard with avian netting over head.
I know 50 square sounds like a lot but chickens can be really hard on grass if they are on it all the time.(maybe you know this already so please disregard) I need to go back and refresh my memory about how many you are getting but more than 10 hens might completely wreck your grass over time if they are on it everyday all day. Lots of people keep them on less than that but their runs are mostly dirt. If you want to keep a lawn at all you might consider keeping your numbers down at first to see how hard they are on it. I might be overestimating the destructive power of chickens but I don't think so
smile.png

I am also curious if they made a decision!

Back
Top Bottom