My The Porch Chicken Coop 10 Hens In Dekalb County

looking very good sir! love those roosts!

I referred someone over here a week or so ago who was inquiring about the possibilities of building a coop under a porch. Don't know what they determined to do, but yours should convince anyone it certainly can be done and made to look nice too!

I would dress them in camo and buy the type that lays green eggs.
smile.png

That is gonna be one awesome coop!! Your neighbors will for SURE find out. Better bribe them with chicken poo for their gardens (if they aren't squeamish) and free eggs! I also echo the "less is better" advice. The girls are surprisingly loud. I personally like all their crazy noises, but...you may have a weirdo neighbor who doesn't. Good thing you're going to net their yard. There's nothing discreet about chasing a squawking chicken around your neighbor's yard. LOL

I hope the decision goes your way so you can have the law on your side!! If not...keep fighting!!!
rant.gif

Last edited:
Wow! You are doing an amazing job! What breeds are you getting?....And what did your HOA say? have they made a decision yet?

Hi there will I live in a community that has no HOA its the County board of Commissioners that has to make the decision if we can keep hens or not. I currently have ten baby chicks all my neighbors know about them and is cool as can be about them. I live in a cul de sac two close neighbors and one vacant house which is next door to me. just hope the riffraff does not move next door been here in this house that i built for 20 years, change is cool but not for the worse.

Here's my update ..... First i received my new babies on Weds April 29th the waiting was crazy LOL.

temporary new home for them..

their first night

you can tell from all the crap they are making themselves right at home.

two weeks old tomorrow and already roosting I've seen them all sleeping on this small branch i put in there.

it's part of training teaching them how to roost in the brooder

Last edited:
I have installed the Pullet shut automatic door opener, this is a sweet door a must for the lazy man (me) lol. No need to get up early in the morning or going out in the evening to close the door LOVE THIS DOOR it has been running on it's own for about a week now no problems at all so far.

The solar photo eye

the door

working fine

Solar power charging the battery

here the door is open with a screen in the inside to prevent the chicks form getting out when they more in next weekend, part of the training plan is to keep them locked in the coop for a few weeks for them to become accustom to their new home and where it is safe.

blocking off nesting boxes no need for them yet lol...

Construction sand and DE about two inches deep my plan is to add two more inches.. The Roost are way to high for the young chicks so a placed a branch on the floor will raise it as the grow to become accustom to the height.. Will be adding a larger waterer and feeder inside very soon.

Back
Top Bottom