My tom keeps trying to flog me!

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
How can I make him stop? It's gotten to the point that I feed and water them after dark so I know I can go in there safely without him attacking. I plan on taking them to auction the end of March, but I'm kinda stuck with them for now.

It's that time of the year, they are feeling frisky. I've only ever had a couple do that but ended up having to get rid of them because they were going after my 5 year old. Even the broomhandle didn't phase them.

I have had mean tom turkeys before. I used a heavy walking stick when entering their pen. First moment they look at me cross wise I would literally chase them down and use my foot to hold them until I said it was time to get up.

The stick was usually enough after a time or two of doing that. Sometimes they would need reminding tho!
big_smile.png

Keeping a mean tom around is not a good idea. Having family and friends over and needing to be on guard is a bit tiring. Easier to rehome the tom...

I have several nice ones who love to be petted and literally fall asleep leaning against my leg. Does't matter if you hand raised them or just had him in a large flock, a mean one is just that a mean one!

My sweet, hand-raised from a day old, tom (9 months old) flogged me for the first time ever this morning.
Shocked me. He has been so sweet, easy to get along with, not the least bit agressive.
I went after him, put him on the ground and held him down for a few minutes.
I was gone all day today and hoped he would have settled down, but he was looking for a fight tonight when I went into the pen
to herd him into the coop with his ladies, had to kick him several times to keep him away from me .
I am so disappointed. I thought he would always be sweet since I raised him, handled him every day,
and always made sure he knew I was the boss.
Somebody please tell me this is temporary and his attitude will improve!!!

Back
Top Bottom