1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My Trader Joe eggs

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by Icravepoultry, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Icravepoultry

Icravepoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2015
    I just set my first chicken eggs. 2 dozen from Trader Joes. Not sure is they are fertile but local so I figured I'd give it a try. 1 dozen white and 1 brown dozen. I'm using a model 2100 still air farmer innovators incubator with automatic egg turner. I put the turner on instead of wait a couple days cause momma chickens turn all the time. Humidity is 50%. Super eggcited!!! :)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Not to dampen your hopes, but to help you out. I have read of peeps hatching TJ eggs. but not all are fertile. The eggs may say free range , but unless there is a rooster, you are out of luck.. You may be wasting 2 dozen eggs if so. There is a way to tell if an egg is fertile or not. Below I am posting a link to a thread with pix to determine fertility by looking at egg cracked open. If your eggs do not look fertile, then I suggest you get into making an omelet.[​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/16008/how-to-tell-a-fertile-vs-infertile-egg-pictures

WISHING YOU BEST [​IMG]

SEARCH OUT OTHER THREADS ABOUT TRADER JOE EGGS.. In the advanced search bar at top of page. There are a few.

3. Icravepoultry

Mar 28, 2015
    Thanks. I know that it is unlikely many will hatch I just wanted to try it. Don't hatchery's only guarantee 90% sexing though so the flocks must have a couple roosters.

4. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    Yes, but the natural egg producer may choose to only keep hens. Eat the roosters since not needed to maintain their egg producing business.

5. Icravepoultry

Mar 28, 2015
    Good point. Again, just wanted to try it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by